Removal of TD5 sunroofs

petrolhead63

usual thing, both sunroofs are leaking a bit, only from certain angles. Parked forward down a hill no leaks, If it faces up the hill it pours in the rear one and dumps a load on the gear lever the first time you hit the brakes after setting off ;0)

My only question is, how do they remove? do I need strip the whole headliner out??

They are manual versions on a millenium TD5.

When I sorted mine about 2 yrs ago I took out the headlining completely ( its all one piece ) and then refitted grab handles .

I then drove the Disco for about 2 wks to get a good idea of where leaks were .

Then I removed both sunroofs . There are about 14 ( I think ) torx headed screws keeping each frame in place . Some of these can be rusty and and cause problems - maybe a good dousing with penetrating oil beforehand would help .

You can then lift out each sunroof having disconnected the drain tubes from the front of each . Be careful removing the tubes or you could snap off the plastic part they are attached to .

Make sure pipes are clear .

Make sure seal between each box and sunroof frame is intact ; if not clean everything off and reseal ;

when replacing the sunroofs put a good bead of something like Silkaflex or Tiger Seal between frame and roof ; leave to set .

Having resealed the roofs I didn't replace the headlining for another 2 wks to make sure it was all dry .

When happy with repair replace headling .

There is a good how to somewhere - if I find it will post a link .

This is one :http://www.is-us.co.uk/vehicles/sunroof-repair-02.html

• 3 weeks later...

My lovely TD5, amazingly, leaks like a sieve when it rains. You would have thought Land Rover would have fixed this problem, bearing in mind the series 2 cost about £30k.

However, I haven't the time or the competence to repair the leaks, but I have been told there is a place in Essex that does repair Disco sunroofs. Does anyone happen to know who they are. If so, please share the information, I'd be soooo grateful,

cheers Martin