ian_s

while prepping a replacement V8 for my disco today i found some worrying bits of metal in the sump, which looked a bit like they were part of a piston. so i looked up inside the block and found this:

20120804_131532.jpg

i think thats bad :(

so i took the head off that side and popped the piston out. sure enough its broken.

20120804_171236.jpg

on the other side:

20120804_171254.jpg

then i noticed something else on the block:

20120804_135601.jpg

it looks like this liner has slipped down slightly.

bit more info:

its a standard rover 3.9 removed from a Range Rover, its only done 6k miles or so since it had a rebuild.

it did run for a few seconds the wrong way up after the RR it was in tried to do a barrel roll and failed, but its done a few thousand miles since then in a different RR without a problem.

so my questions are:

1) are the other pistons likely to be cracked like this one?

2) can i use the block with that liner the way it is?

thanks

Ian

Thanks guys, thats pretty much what i thought.

unfortunately i need to get a running engine back in ASAP, got a baby due on 21st august, so could happen at any time. i also have bugger all money at the moment too.

i removed the old engine as it makes some nasty sounds, uses water and probably needs a new cam.

i'm going to strip the heads off the old engine, see which one of the two is likely to work best for a short while, and use parts off both to make that one usable. its only a short term fix but i need to get the car mobile at the very least.

maybe now i start saving for a 4.6......