*Very* light Pyrenees offroading?

I'm taking the Ninety to Santander and driving back over the mountains and up through France at the beginning of September. Can anyone recommend any very gentle offroad routes? Any good sources for maps etc?

I've got 1000 miles in front of me, it's not an offroad holiday so I'd rather abstain than pop a halfshaft etc but if there's something 'too scenic to miss' then it'd be a shame if I was in the area, so to speak.

• 2 weeks later...

Found a problem with the road books - they're €50 apiece. I understand the effort and research behind them and for a week's offroading it'd be invaluable, but I'm struggling to justify that when she'll only allow me a day of offroading out of our 2 week holiday.

Would anyone lend me a book for a suitable rent/donation to forum funds? I'm happy to put £20 or so into the pot but nearer £50 for a day's driving is a bit steep.

Steve: the Rallye looks great but I can get away with offroading where there's scenery for the missus. Motorsport is a hard sell and she's bigger than me.

I have to ask John, that if you're only getting a day to 4x4 play, why are you going in the Landy? Or have you scaled the fleet down to finance this trip?

Maybe you'll get 'lost' and have a long off road drive back to civilization ;)

Mickey,

It's the most suitable vehicle, whichever way you look at it:

1: Volvo: 55mpg, but 240k miles so it WILL break down in a mangled electronic way I can't fix - and the heater sometimes sticks on hot for a day or so.

2: Lotus: 40mpg, but she won't let me drive it like the mountain passes demand, and we could take clothes, a tent or a map, but not all three.

3: LandRover: 30mpg, I can take tools and spares to fix it, and you can see over hedges.

Man maths - gotta love it!

Mark - many thanks, PM on the way.