RRC LT77 lost reverse gear during being standing on driveway

hutchey

HI all,

Had my RRC on driveway whilst i'm trying to get the damn carb to work properly - that's another problem entirely

Last time i had it started i moved it back and forth on driveway to test carb under minor load. reverse worked fine (bit sticky but ok)

done nothing to the thing since and had it fired up to test new carb settings (still plopplops) but now it wont go into reverse

its got fluid to right level, no air bubbles in slave cylinder

tried with engine running and off

tried with clutch down at various heights and it just feels like its only got 1st and 2nd on the left side.

Anyone had similar problems?

Cheers

I agree with Quagmire. Remove the transmission tunnel then you can un-bolt the housing on top of the gearbox, including the lever. Make sure the lever will operate each of the plungers (which remote the levers to the selectors in the gearbox).

The assembly is splash lubricated from the box - so if it's left standing, particularly if your gear oil has a little water in it, they are the first thing to go rusty & seize.

If you re-build the assembly, it might be worth greasing it thoroughly (general purpose grease) which will help it stay working until the next time you run it. I would change and flush the gear oil too - just in case.

Si

hi, well it was as described. cleaned it all up and put it back and the ball bearing just wont move back against the spring with it in situ.

so i either have to remove the circlip and replace the parts or get a new assembly :(

and it looks like the part numbers have changed too as the pics of the ones i've seen dont look like mine.

mine has the big bolt head bit at the bottom and not at the side