Clicking Windscreen Wipers

I have a loud click when the wipers are in use.

Anyone have this ? I'm worried that the cables are snagged insode or similar.

Is it an easy job to replace / mend the mechanism ?

Any views welcome...

(I'm building up me planned weekends slaving away on that dreaded landy....)

Thanks in advance.

Guest diesel_jim

My Td5 does that, even with new blades, but it's not as bad when it's really raining hard....

I think it's the little gear boxes that the arms connect to, i've read that they wear, but removing and packing with grease helps.

BUT... you've got to strip the bulk of the top of the dash to get to the buggers! :angry:

Sometimes the blades cause it, cheap enough to swap them to see if it goes away, but its usually wear in the cable and wheelboxes. The former is fairly cheap and easy to cahnge but the later are a bit of a PITA to get out as the dash top rail has to come off. Not that difficult just time consuming. Changed my cable and wheelboxes 5 years ago as it was driving me mad and now the replacements have worn and have started doing it again..... :angry:

Is a pretty big clunk Western... Hear it all across dash ! Recon it's mechanism..

Will look around for spares / new parts and hope it lasts to be a summer job next year !

Neil

OK, try greasing the drive cable & see if that makes any difference,

remove left end of dash, undo big nut on end of drive tube to motor, remove wiper motor strap, remove wpier blades & pull motor/drive cable out, clean all old grease off, apply new & refit/test.

or it could be the blades thumoing the screen rubbber at full sweep esch way.

When the noise first appeared I assumed it was mechanism. For MOT in July I changed wiper arms, blades, the machined end with grub screws (That makes the connection to the mechanism arms) so I got a good wipe, but noise still a major click/clunk that sounds like it could be anywhere in the dash area. (Sometimes quiet dependent on amount of rain.. More rain equals louder usually!, and of course the usual torrent of water in the car from many strange places..)

I think from what I'm reading so far it's dash off, motor off, mechanism out and either clean grease and re-fit or replace and do again in 5 years ! :)

Anyone recommend supplier of genuine or good replacement parts ? Not gonna get these in local shops !

Neil

When the noise first appeared I assumed it was mechanism. For MOT in July I changed wiper arms, blades, the machined end with grub screws (That makes the connection to the mechanism arms) so I got a good wipe, but noise still a major click/clunk that sounds like it could be anywhere in the dash area. (Sometimes quiet dependent on amount of rain.. More rain equals louder usually!, and of course the usual torrent of water in the car from many strange places..)

I think from what I'm reading so far it's dash off, motor off, mechanism out and either clean grease and re-fit or replace and do again in 5 years ! :)

Anyone recommend supplier of genuine or good replacement parts ? Not gonna get these in local shops !

Neil

Most of the normal suppilers & main dealers can supply the bits, i.e, -- craddocks/paddocks/exeter4x4/dls.

mines not silent either but I just live with it, no intention of changing bits every few years, don't think you'll ever get a silent wiper system in a LR.

If the above doesn't work try pulling the wiper spindles in and out, anything other than a little play here will result in a clunk. If there is play it's possible to reduce it by bending the tab that pushes on the spindle on the back of each gearbox but you will need to take the dash toprail out to gain access. Bending the tab is easier of you remove the back of the gearboxes but this also allows you to get some fresh grease in there as well.

Mine used to click as well. Found it was due to wear on the teeth of the cogs on the wheelbox) that turn the spindle arms (sound a bit like Fred Dibna! God Bless Him!). The operating arm/spring seemed okay so I just replaced the wheelbox's (PRC8495), greased the spring, and all has been well for a few years now. Tempting fate I'm sure!

Cheers

Log

Many thanks for you wealth of responses here...

I think I'll get the beast back, try and get away with things how they are for the winter and then try the easiest first..... Grease the gear boxes, bend the tabs and see how far I get, then if necessary, start replacing parts etc.

Fingers crossed for the next few months and thanks so far to you all.

Neil.

• 7 years later...