Air fittings on T-Max compressor

Turbocharger

John

I have just been doing this mod to my T-Max compressor in order to wire it in permenantly. Not sure if yours is the same but I had the same issue in that the coupler fitting in the handle is a bit smaller than 1/4" (it is metric I think). Anyway, I removed the carrying handle from the top of the compressor and then unwound the metal tube inside it (mole grips needed) from the top of the compressor and hey presto... that is a 1/4" bsp fitting on that end. Have now got extension and PCL fittings on it and when my pressure switch arrives it will be wired to a dash switch and used to run the diff lockers

Mark - does your compressor look the same as mine, because I unscrewed that tube (how much sealant?!?) and mine ain't 1/4"BSP inside.

I've now dismantled the whole thing and I'll take the remnants to Pirtek or similar tomorrow to get an adaptor.

Looking at the threads it came with, they all look to be metric pitches:

post-277-0-51099800-1345583978_thumb.jpg

1: head to relief valve: 13.77mm OD, 1mm pitch:

2: relief valve to cooling pipe: 13.73mm OD, 1mm pitch

3: cooling pipe to flexy pipe: 11.9mm OD, 1.25mm pitch

(I've only got metric thread gauges so...)

4: 1/4"BSP fitting from Machine Mart: 12.75mm OD, 1.25mm plus half a thread in every 6 = 18.8 threads per inch. Should be 19 threads per inch - near enough.

Any clues what 1, 2 or 3 might be? I guess 1 & 2 are probably the same within the margin of my measuring error (which is good because it'd mean I can keep the safety valve, which sounds attractive).

at risk of sounding daft and not knowing what i am talking about, does anyone know of a way/supplier/somebody looking for beer tokens in post, of a way to change out the current awful screw on fitting onto tyre valve on t max unit to the nice type that you push on and flip lever to lock (dont know name) that would mean it just gets posted to me?

Watch this thread carefully for a few more days and I should have reached a solution with all the information you need to order and plug in anything from a tyre inflator to a spray gun!

It's hard to see if they're tapered or not, I've only got five or six threads to work with. It was bad enough trying to measure the pitch! They do look suspiciously metric though, lets hope my diameters were a little way out and I can find a fitting to make it all work.

Pirtek were unable to identify the threads, not M12/M14 because neither would screw on.

So I took the simplest route, bought a firtree fitting and cut the rubber hose. It's about 8 or 9mm ID, but I've wrapped tape around the 6mm firtree I bought and it works ok. A complicated route to a homebrew solution when I was hoping it'd work straight off the shelf.

It's giving >100psi against a blind pipe and holds 50psi pumping into a tyre at 30psi. In due course I'll get an airtank and a pressure switch but, for now, it's adequate for tyres and airbeds.

• 6 years later...

I have a T-Max and it too had the awful screw-on fitting.  I recently bough a lance type fitting (like on petrol station air pumps) and a suitable barb adaptor to fit into the rubber hose that the screw-in valve is attached to.  It works perfectly and cost me just over $10 to get the parts at a US tools shop, so it isn't expensive.

• 11 months later...

Old thread revival , But does anyone know the tyre valve thread size , Because you could screw a tail into the silly t-MAX  screw-on valve and then a length of pipe onto that  with a PCL valve fitting on the end . 

I still would like to make an adapter for the push connect fittings if it was ever worked out .