front output shaft bearing LT230

Can any body confirm if it is possible to replace the front output shaft bearing in a LT230 Transfer Box, without having to first remove the box from the vehicle?

Assuming it is possible is the procedure similar to the rear bearing and seal replacement shown in the Tech Archive?

Would any one also have the bearing part number?

hi asked this a few months back apparently you can do it in situe but its a PITA if i rember right <_< . I was told by, i think white 90 that there is supposed to be some movement in the bearing though a few mm each way so i just changed my seal as it was leaking and its been fine ever since.

Yes it is possible to do this without removing the transfer box. I just have on my Discovery.

Once you have removed front prop, there is a big nut (30mm socket) to remove. I used an air impact gun. Remove the washer and the front flange. There is a oil seal to remove and then a big circlip. Once all this is remove pull on the shaft and the whole thing will come out with the bearing. Don't panic you are just pulling the shaft out of the side of the centre diff.

The bearing will need 'drifting' off the shaft and the new one pressing on.

I wish I'd take a few pictures now :) but it's not all that difficult.

HTH