Anyone using Insa Turbo Dakar's?

ejparrott

not necessarily. its all about how vehicles are driven on the road that determines the tire life.. my mum fitted budget tyres to her car 2 1/2 years ago, still got about 4-6 left because its driven carefully and my friend went through a set on 4 months diving like an idiot..

its depends on the driving style so you cant say is rubbish. ;)

I drive like a normal person :huh:

But really, I have a pretty heavy 110, heavy road and considerable off road use. I don't drive like a granny either. We are comparing a land rover to a land rover here...so there really shouldn't be that much difference, if people are wearing them down that fast they will burn out 'good' ones as well! I'd expect a special track to wear fast, but everyone I know on dakars have had good tyre wear.

Nothing wrong with remoulds, Chances are I'll slit a sidewall at some point, rather do that on a remould than a BFG!

I have done many thousands of miles on my insa turbo special tracks over the last ~6/7 years and they are wearing out but mainly due to the rubber degrading than the tread wearing. Still plenty of that! and im plenty capable of driving sensibly and like a tit..... :huh:

Jad

• 1 month later...

Having finally found a bit of time I've spent a few hours this week trawling the internet for tyres, and I'm actually thinking about trying a set of IT Rangers.

Traction Track look like they're going to be too noisy, Hankook and Cooper STT I think are really a bit too expensive at the moment, and while the General's look very nice, at an extra £40 per tyre, although they are new and not remould, I think I'd be cursing if I damage one offroading or laning. Camskill.co.uk have the best price it seems, although they don't stock Cooper or General tyres.

I'm going to go down the tyre fitters on Friday afternoon and see if they can offer me any better prices first.

IT Rangers? Sounds like a foreign football club ;)

FWIW - I've got Dakar's on the 90 now - they are pretty noisy considering that they are a 'standard' tread pattern - on road at 50ish MPH there's a considerable amount of tyre hum. The 90 came with BFG muds (of the wrong size), which the Dakar's are based on, and they were quieter, but still hummed a bit. For a mainly road car I'd be looking at something quieter...

My thought was to give the Ranger a go, see how it went on the road, take it when we go offroading and laning next and see how it performs. If its quite but doesn't do very well in the mud, I'll put them on The 109 and try something a touch more aggresive on Kettle. Still don't really want to introduce much tyre noise in to the equation though, otherwise all my efforts will be in vain!

STT's are still £108, versus £86 for the Rangers.

i wont be reccomending insa turbos at all. bar off road of course!

they are really grippy in the dry, especially on warm days, due to the softness of the rubber. in the wet theyre touch and go. which to be fair you should expect from off road tyres.

what i will say though is that where decent (non remoulded proper brand) tyres, tell you when theyre about to let go of the tarmac, but these insa's dont. they just hold, hold, and then suddenly let go, pointing you towards a brick wall.

I swapped to Insa Turbo Dakar's from (well worn) BFG A/T's and have been running them for 3 months now. I'm very pleased with them, both on tarmac and in mud & snow. There is more tyre hum when cruising (as you would expect from a mud tyre) but I don't find it intrusive. While I don't hang about on the road, I'm aware that they're a mud tyre and take it a bit easier in bends and have had no concerns with them.

I've been down to BT Tyres this morning and oddly enough they can't get IT Rangers from their stockists, although they can get Traction Tracks. He's given me a list of the 23585R16 tyres he can get, including AT2 and STT, I'm going to have another sit down and search and see what I think. Problem is I need 5 tyres as my spare is a 7.50, and at over £100 each that means my £500 budget isn't enough...having just started a new more expensive mortgage, I need to be a little careful! On top of that, The 109 currently has no spare either....

Another yes from me. I've ran Dakar's for 3 years now, 265/75/16's. Done about 8000mls and no obvious signs of wear although I haven't measure tread depth. Yes a litlle noisey compared to more road bias tyres but expected that. Fine in dry, no problem for me in wet either. Truck does squirm a bit under heavy braking but par for size of tyre I think?

265/75r16's on my old Disco, and now on the 90. Their road performance is acceptable, in my view, but then perhaps I don't expect too much from them. At the end of the day it's a circa 2 tonne truck, with an high CoG, not a car. I try and drive it accordingly (keep your eyes peeled for a post in the future, about my having put it deep into the scenery).