best make for a decent toolbox (not snap on prices)

discomikey

so i filled my toolchest a while ago and ive been thinking about a new topbox, the type thats extra wide,

ive been looking around, and been drawn to the clarke HD pro ones as they feel good quality but at a reasonable price,

at Billing, i nearly bought an extrawide sealey premium box, with slight handling damage for £225 brand new, but being a northener was too tight to relieve myself of the cash at the time, however im now kicking myself as it was ideal.

just had a look on ebay at some, and the US pro toolchests pop up quite a lot for a reasonable price, although im unsure of the quality, most of the tools ive seen from US pro seem pretty good, but i have no idea if they have any warrantys. or ever seen one of their toolchests.

so the question is, what toolbox do you have, and who do you reccommend, my current rollcab and topchest is halfords pro which i cant fault, but they dont do bigger size than the usual width.

• Like 1

I have a Snap-On topbox and chest. The chest is well over 40 years old and I still like it.

Like you I too refused to pay Snap-On prices for the intermediate chest and my daughter bought me a four draw unit from Halfords. I quite like it and am impressed with the finish.

I also have a three draw tool box from Halfords that I keep my electrical tools and parts in. That too is very good.

Yes I'd look at Halfords again

I've got 3 kennedy wheelie ones at work (bought from cromwell tools), can't remember the cost but the oldest must be 15 years old used daily and they've all survived and are fully functional. One of them I even used to lift into the van with a fork lift so I could take it to site and it survived my driving :blink:

It might be more than you want to spend but I took a chance and got myself these for work and cant really fault them.

http://www.ebay.co.u...=item564b840630

that looks pretty decent quality, i am just looking at a new top box so if i could find that top box alone it would be in my price range. ill take a look

I've got a Clarke HD one, good kit and ball bearing sides. Their aftersales was carp but the box is top kit, I'd buy another.

yes, the drawers feel good, and seem great build quality especially for the price im leaning towards the black/gold, or just the plain red pro HD 14 drawer topchest.

Black halfords Industrial ones. They are superb for the money :). They come up on offer quite often.

ive got a halfords pro rollcab and chest at the moment, cant fault them, although theyre full now. so i need bigger, and halfords dont seem to do bigger than the standard size.

Sealey Superline Pro. Got 4 of them between my Dad and I. The oldest one is about 5 years old now, not had any problems.

taken a good look at them too, again seem to be good quality, and a reasonable price, but just that little more expensive than the clarke ones, but the clarke ones seem to be as good if that makes sense. the clarke one at the moment is drawing me in slightly more, as there is slightly more choice for drawer configuration

Iv'e got a snap on 7 draw top box bought second hand. Lovely bit of kit.

However I also have a Clarke industrial Heavy Duty bottom and top box set and they are good for the money. Only issue is base of the bottom box has bent due meaning the swiveling wheel is reluctant to swivel. In reality I have put a lot of very heavy stuff in the bottom box. Would a snap on box have done the the same? I don't know, but i'd buy anothet Clarke unit as I couldn't justify the cost of snap on.

Adrian

I have Halfords top and middle chests on top of a roller cabinet. It's all their 'Professional' range, (red with ball raced drawers). I am very pleased with them.

Halfords tend to have huge discounts on these products over the Christmas/New Year period. A litle way off, I know :)

thanks again, 660 is too narrow as its about the same as what i have now.

Halfords, got top and bottom, like them both very much.

so have i, and so do i, but theyre no longer big enough!

I have Halfords top and middle chests on top of a roller cabinet. It's all their 'Professional' range, (red with ball raced drawers). I am very pleased with them.

Halfords tend to have huge discounts on these products over the Christmas/New Year period. A litle way off, I know :)

i know, bought my halfords rollcab and topbox for just over £200 a few years ago, onlyy now its full and i need to go bigger,, and halfords dont seem to do bigger.

Bolt two halfords ones side by side.

I have a Clarke hdplus top intermediate and roll cab, once they are full I think I,d look at an extra wide top box, snap on and mac ones seem to be deeper wich I think is a good thing, I struggle for length with some of my drawers.

Will.