best make for a decent toolbox (not snap on prices)

discomikey

Why not buy a second hand snap on box. They are the best and they hold their value unlike others, in good condition you will get back what you paid for it. I have always done this, started off with a basic 4 draw Snap On top box and kept adding to it, then upgraded to a massive three section Snap On rollcab and sold the old ones and recouped what they cost me originally.

One of the drawer sliders failed on one of mine - It was 20 years old - Snap On dealer replaced the whole drawer with a brand new one ordered from US for free no questions asked.

As you have said, 2nd hand Snap On hold their value, which will without doubt make them more spendy than the OP wishes to fork out.

Most of us home mechanics and tinkerers do not need [tool] chests that are of Snap On quality, size or price; as much as some of us may dream of owning such kit.

This thread is really asking peoples' opinions of products available at the lower end of the market.

Other places to keep an eye on are factory dispersal auctions, or even just the local scrappy.

As well as my Halfords tool cabinets I have three metal 'industrial cabinets' of the type you might find accompanying a lathe to hold its tooling and accessories. They probably measure 600mm sq by 1m tall. Once has several drawers (this is the most useful one) and the other two have a side hinged door and 2 or 3 shelves inside.

The one with drawers I paid a tenner for, the others cost nothing, although they needed a damn good clean and a litttle straightening with a No.1 tool.

• 1 year later...

Nudge...

does anyone have any direct experience with these US Pro (Not to be confused with American Pro(p.s. is that sealey American Pro?)) boxes,

and just to clarify,

i am not looking at new snap-on,

im also not looking at second hand as i like the idea of buying new,

also i am not looking at the standard 26" width chests, just the 42-56" wide chests.

cheers :)

I have a draper expert plus 40" the drawers latch wich is a must if its in a vehicle, seems pretty good, I made an angle iron frame for it and its recently survived a 40mph crash that wrote the van off it was in, bar some minor dents from flying tools it works ferpect.

Will.

I've got Halfords boxes-3 of them(top middle and bottom) and I now find I need more space for more tools lol, but on a serious note I'm 5'6" tall and have to use a caravan step to be able to see into the top of the top box properly :blink: It's total height is getting on for about 5' 10" tall so going wider may have to be the way ahead, I've seen some nice wide-ish tool boxes on the machine mart web site and they look ideal for what I need, I'd love it for one of the manufacturers to come up with another box that fits on the side making the bottom box wide and as deep as the bottom box is now that'd solve my dilemma with having to buy another set of boxes-I'll seriously have to think about if I really could do with the hassle and cost of getting another pair of top and bottom boxes and even If I was to get them it'd have to be on one of those VAT free weekends too.

John

john you can get side add ons for rollcabs, not neccisarily made by halfords but if the measurements are close enough (i.e. overall height of the main box) and depth then there is no reason why you cant put a clarke (decent range) add on.

i would like a proper wide rollcab though personally, i do like the Clarke HD plus stuff its good and seems to be well built.

If you plan on putting it in a vehicle at any point the Clarke ones are a waste of time, as soon as you lift the lid when on a slope all your drawers open, however if it will only be in a workshop they arnt a bad box.

Will.

john you can get side add ons for rollcabs, not neccisarily made by halfords but if the measurements are close enough (i.e. overall height of the main box) and depth then there is no reason why you cant put a clarke (decent range) add on.

i would like a proper wide rollcab though personally, i do like the Clarke HD plus stuff its good and seems to be well built.

Mikey, Any Idea where from, as i have looked but can't seem to find any?

John

Hi All,

I'd recommend Costco which ok, you have to pay to become a member, but the tools and stuff in general are all very good quality.

They now sell on-line which you can purchase from whether you're a member or not although i think its abit extra if you're not.

Worth a look and if you want to go into the store to check the item out you can as a prospective member but you obviously won't be able to buy anything although beware as some stuff is on line only and not in store.

Mark

• 2 years later...

I recently bought a US Pro 'affordable' rolling cabinet and it is SO flimsy that I daren't put my hammers in it, so I found this post while looking for advice for a replacement...

It seems from earlier posts here, that the Halfords range (pro or industrial) are sound so I will go and have a look at them. Just thought I would mention my experience with the US Pro (Affordable).

By the way - I have a set of long impact sockets from US Pro bought about 6 years ago that are fabulous...

Roger

Holy Thread Revival Batman!!!! I've waited years to say that!

any way check out Halfords online at the moment

they have a web only deal of their professional chest, intermediate and top for only £249 that's a saving of £250!!!!

• Like 1

Holy Thread Revival Batman!!!! I've waited years to say that!

any way check out Halfords online at the moment

they have a web only deal of their professional chest, intermediate and top for only £249 that's a saving of £250!!!!

And they now have industrial side cabinets in the range - one locker style and one with drawers.

G.

Halfords have a bundle offer on the industrial cabinets, top, mid, base for £400, at the moment. Some employers have a scheme that allows you get Halfords vouchers with a ten percent discount. Full cab stack for £360. That's reasonable value in my book.

G.

• 4 weeks later...

Well, I finally decided to go for the Halfords Pro offer (three cabinets for £250) even though I really fancied the Halfords 'Industrial' range but not at those prices = the rolling cabinet is £300 alone!

Anyway - I procrastinated so long the the 'Pro' offer ended and I missed it, but it was replaced with an 'Industrial' offer - the roller drawers and top unit for £300 combined. So I went for that and I got them last night - so below is what I think of them:

1st impression: Flippin eck it's big! The bottom unit alone is 50kg! That's about 115lbs in old money.

so to the boxes themselves - they are bigger than I expected and much heavier. Very solidly made with lovely drawer sliding (on bearing runners) action.

the drawers are self latching so that you can move the wheeled unit around without them sliding open all the time and additionally the drawers in the top unit won't open unless the lid is up.

The top unit is about 35kg and so can be carried using the side handles if there are no tools in it so that bit will reside on the bench I think.

The quoted limits are IMHO, very impressive, with 35kg per drawer and max all up weight of 320kg for the chest (top) and 360kg for the cabinet (base) with contents. Additionally, the base unit can carry 320kg on it's top surface (the all-up weight of the top unit), although it is probably sensible to put some plywood on there as a load spreader before dumping a couple of diffs on it!

Overall I am very pleased with the cabinets - they appear strong and well made and, during the offer at least, are reasonably good value.

I will try to attach some photos and a video below...

20160817_174522_zpsd2ks3rmt.jpg

20160817_174411_zpsgzlznhef.jpg

20160817_174355_zps0nvcxvbc.jpg

20160817_174341_zpszoifnvzg.jpg