There's a hole in my battery box

Which I believe is a mot failure as its within so many cm of a seatbelt mounting point , which is nuts but hey ho

It's not a massive hole, more like a crack that split

I can't weld so thought about cutting the rot out then pop riveting a plate in then fibreglass to waterproof it

I looked at the YRM battery box at Billing on Sunday, I was hoping as it was in sections you could put them in then rivet it together in situ but having read the instructions it seems it's seat box out

Has anybody fitted the YRM box and how did it go

The seat belt isn't mounted to the battry box. It's mounted onto the B post and the steel section under the seatbox.

I made a full battery box from alli sheet and it was successful.I didn't take the seat box out but it would have been easier.

That's the bonkers bit about it, it's nothing to do with the seatbelt mount but mot rules say rot within so many cm of a seatbelt mount is a fail

On a normal car that would apply but not on a defender

I'd buy the YRM box if I thought I could fit it without taking the seat box out, is the seat box spot welded anywhere or is it all rivets

The seat box IIRC is BOLTED to the same place as the seat belt mount.

Three?? 6mm bolts through the body rail that's welded to the B post. Then a number of 6mm bolts along the back

The battery box is held in some places by 3/16" pop rivets, take the passenger seat out and you'll see.

It's an easy if time consuming job.

It took me a couple of weeks BUT I made everything. Yes everything.

Where are you as you could have a look at it.

Warrington

I've just been in touch with YRM , from his description it looks like you remove the sill, drill the pop rivets out then slide the old one out and the new one in then rivet it back in

I'll have a look at the weekend and see how it looks

• 5 years later...

I have repaired the battery boxes in both of mine. The series had a patch welded in as it was only a small hole similar to yours, the 110 had a YRM box fitted which is very good and easy to do. I removed the seatbox to do mine as at the same time I replaced the end pieces and the sill rails which had been repaired previously. 

Either method is easy enough to do it just comes down to cost, as would fiberglass although I have not done that myself.