Diesel Dipping - Testing VOSA

Big.Mike

Round about me iv never been pulled in the landy but have seen plenty diesel cars being pulled in. Mind they seem more interested in trucks.

Im sure most of europe has the same restrictions but im not 100% sure. Got pulled in the truck leaving spain a few times last year and they were just interested in my trailer each time.

They'll dip anything diesel, espcially if they have pulled you for something else already. So if you're towing/carrying a big load/driving an old pikey looking bus then expect to get pulled and dipped.

I've seen VOSA set up a diesel check point on White Ladies Road in Bristol, which is a shopping street in the city centre populated by students. So they can pop up in random areas rather then just Industrial Estates etc.

Our local garage sells red, they often get old ladies ranting at the attendant saying their pump is broken as their car always holds £30 and today it's only taken £15 :D

Anyway back on topic, VOSA don't seem that concerned but revenue and customs are always there, they dip any diesel vehicle that pulls in regardless of which pump it stops at. A friend was getting a can of red for a mini digger and an officer pounced from around the corner and demanded to dip his range rover tank, he enquired what happens if he refused, simple they said, we will impound your vehicle and get the police to come and arrest you :/

I've been pulled over a few times here, but I was sat in a queue of saloons, vans and hatchbacks so don't think they "pick on" landy drivers.

Don't care if they do to be honest as I've got nothing to hide.

Having spent 3 years at an agricultural uni, it never ceases to amaze me how many students run their landys and 4wds on red diesel. Of all the vehicles/places this must be the most likely combination for trouble...

I've never been stopped in about 15 years of running diesels cars. I've only ever seen testing once at a taxi rank at Manchester Airport.

I don't do many miles so savings wouldn't be great for me so I just use regular white, but I tell you what, given the likelehood of getting stopped - slim to nothing, you'd be quids in getting done and having the car confiscated once every decade or so!

Julian

Its about time red diesel was finished with.Then any business with a right to claim rebated fuel could submit a second return alongside their Vat return.

Would that not be impossible to police? Most of the vehicles that can claim rebated fuel burn a heck of a lot of it, and quite a bit of it while stood still. It would be easy enough to claim the fuel used in other vehicles had been used in the vehicles that are allowed rebated fuel. Without the die proving it would be difficult.

i dont see the problem with red diesel it does its job.

we obviously have a tank of it and fill all our tractors/digger etc with it, but the colouring does its job, and makes me avoid using it, as its an obviuos trace, and my truck is really likely to get dipped, especially round me, and in the areas of work i work in.

if you could rebate white diesel, you wouldnt be able to prove youre running your car on it or not. therefore the system would be heavily used by as many as possible putting the price of all diesel up, or completelly abolishing discounted diesel for agricultural/non road use. which would create one hell of a recession.

Its about time red diesel was finished with.Then any business with a right to claim rebated fuel could submit a second return alongside their Vat return.

Imagine what diesel theft from farms by Pikeys would be like if the tanks all had white diesel - it's bad enough now with red.....

Julian.

A friend of mine has been done for running on red, since then he claims he has had a number of personal visits to dip his tank. So it sounds like if you are caught once they'll be back ......

If caught then you'll probably have to behave.

I think it's only worth the risk if you are a private individual. If you run a taxi cab (for instance) they can go back through the books, see how much business you do, calculate a mileage and sting you for back duty :-(

Julian.

Imagine what diesel theft from farms by Pikeys would be like if the tanks all had white diesel - it's bad enough now with red.....

Julian.

Do you think it would make any difference - seems to me the pikey's just see free fuel,dont care what colour it is.On the point of being abused by everyone claiming a right to a fuel rebate its quite simple,all vat registered businesses will have all their vehicles/machines on their books,HMRC are not stupid,they would love to have the job of working out who should/shouldnt have a rebate and how much it should be(It works for truckkies in Australia,they dont have red diesel).IMO rebated fuel should be taken from most users,just a for instance,canal boat users - why should they have cheap fuel ? If its OK for them I want rebated petrol for my trials bikes.

Seems to me those who complain most about it are the ones who fear losing it because they have no real right to have it.

Do you think it would make any difference - seems to me the pikey's just see free fuel,dont care what colour it is.t.

Oh I think they would care. Remember that 'cleaning' red diesel (fuller's earth and sulphuric acid) was the IRA's biggest revenue earner, drugs second i think. Mr Pikey would make a mint selling white Diesel at 145p/L

And many contractors, myself included until I gave up a couple of years ago, don't earn enough to be vat registered. Still have the right to use red though!

Had my tank dipped once on the Reigate M25 roundabout, but never used red, so no worries.

They have the right to predict how many miles you've done since you bought the vehicle (mots etc) and reclaim the tax you haven't paid plus fine you.

A haulier around here had a tank inside a tank so if the dipped him they got white but the engine got red. After a while they managed to catch him and put him in prison :/ they see it lathe same as any other corporate tax fiddle.

VOSA have ratings for operators. If you get pulled and there's nothing wrong your rating gets better. The better your rating the less likely you are to get pulled. The thing that stings is if your really straight but other drivers for the same company arn't the rating gets pulled down and you get pulled more.

My son works for an agricultural contractor over here,so obviously the tractors are run on red.BUT, whilst driving a tractor on a road you are limited to 25kmh.

He was pulled doing 45kmh,tank dipped(red in tank),he was made to get someone to come out,empty the tank,put white in and fined 180€.

bakewell cattle market, dont matter what you drive expect to be dipped and make sure you aint overloaded.

also my truck is definately the sort of truck to get dipped anywhere, let alone there.

yep, been dipped four times there! Don't know how people dare do it round here!