A better defender heater - a new project!

simonr

There is little wrong with the defender heater matrix, it's just that the blower is pathetic!

Today, I tried connecting the motor to 24v - and it blew a gale! After 10 mins the motor was warm, but not hot - so its probably happy-ish being over volted.

I've ordered a 12v to 24v converter from China rated at 10A which might be sufficient. It opens up the possibility of a 4 speed heater control - though more likely just a boost switch on the dash somewhere.

I'll keep you posted with how it goes!

Si

I've seen those squirel cage fans in the Spal catalog. They have a load more push.

I'm thinking of giving up completely on water heating in the S1. It has a stainless steel exhaust, and is ripe for an air tube around it under the cab. Would also be instant heat :)

What about a de-cat heat exchanger?

There is little wrong with the defender heater matrix, it's just that the blower is pathetic!

Today, I tried connecting the motor to 24v - and it blew a gale! After 10 mins the motor was warm, but not hot - so its probably happy-ish being over volted.

I've ordered a 12v to 24v converter from China rated at 10A which might be sufficient. It opens up the possibility of a 4 speed heater control - though more likely just a boost switch on the dash somewhere.

I'll keep you posted with how it goes!

Si

You're a genius and I owe you a beer!

I modified the heater on my series three to incorporate two heater matrixes, and with an 88 degree stat I can get very hot air from it but the actual fan is too feeble. I've been racking my brains to find a better fan and even got one from a (Fiat Ducato?) van that looked just the job, but alas it would not quite fit in the space :-(

I'm going to try running my motor at 24 volts as per your brilliant idea, or maybe rig up some sort of dropper resistor so that I can run it at about 18 volts and have it last a bit longer!

DSC00218.jpg

Julian.

I modified the heater on my series three to incorporate two heater matrixes, and with an 88 degree stat I can get very hot air from it but the actual fan is too feeble. I've been racking my brains to find a better fan and even got one from a (Fiat Ducato?) van that looked just the job, but alas it would not quite fit in the space :-(

I fitted a 4" bilge blower instead of the original fan on my s3 (it squealed and drove me barmy) - it shifts about twice the amount of air as the original, but it's still pretty pathetic compared to a modern car... I did think of using two of them, or putting them underneath the ducts to the demister vents (in the big empty airbox bit of the dash) but haven't got round to it as yet...

I fitted a 4" bilge blower instead of the original fan on my s3 (it squealed and drove me barmy) - it shifts about twice the amount of air as the original, but it's still pretty pathetic compared to a modern car... I did think of using two of them, or putting them underneath the ducts to the demister vents (in the big empty airbox bit of the dash) but haven't got round to it as yet...

I thought of the bilge blowers too, or brake cooling fans for (for eg) NASCAR cars - as that's also what they are used for.However I've had experience of these little but powerful 'turbine' style fans in the avionics/equipment bays on Boeing aircraft, here they are 200volt 400Hz jobbies that turn at around 10,000 rpm and make such a racket that you need ear plugs if close up to one.

LR's 'snail fan' is fairly large diameter and turns slowly - obviously that's to cut noise - I do however fancy trying it at 24V as I suspect it will still be inaudible above the racket of the 2.25 Diesel :-)

Julian.

Any of you happen to know what the 3 pin connectors on the fan are? Presumably Tyco?

Si

I think the later (300Tdi on) models use 3-way TY Econoseal connectors. Earlier models use those annoying moulded-on-to-the-loom rubber ones.

As said above - the 300Tdi models use an Econoseal 3-way female connector

The TD5 models use a Sumitomo HW Series 3-way (inline) female connector -

61890130.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

This is a complete lash up, (born out of desperation) but I thought I'd have a bit of a try with some spare fans that I have.

post-25707-0-09064600-1347300351_thumb.jpg

Basically it's an attempt to demist the screen and help draw more air through the matrix, I'm never going to drive with them in place. I've simply added a plug so I can plug them into the cigarette lighter.

These fans are interesting, it's possible to bunch them up with only one input and I have 15 of them. Next thing is to put them on a strip of plastic to make it easy to add and remove them!

I just need a cold morning to try it!

Cheers,

Mike

Why don't you just cable-tie them together by the mounting holes to form a long strip of fans?

I used to have a block of eight fans (4x2) tied together which I could jam in the passenger side window for extra cooling in the summer! With those little fans you count use them for both!

Si

Why don't you just cable-tie them together by the mounting holes to form a long strip of fans?

I used to have a block of eight fans (4x2) tied together which I could jam in the passenger side window for extra cooling in the summer! With those little fans you count use them for both!

Si

Ha, I have some strips of plastic, I don't have any cable ties. See, I told you it was lashed together! ;)

Right, just thinking about it a little more, I think using Venturi effect, adding the fans to one side would "suck" more air out of the vent.

post-25707-0-05400200-1347306980_thumb.jpg

This would also recycle air from the cab (which is not something the current fan does).

I'll try both orientations one cold morning and post the results!

Cheers,

Mike

I completed my latest heater upgrade experiment at the weekend... I replaced the on/off air flap in the heater box with one of the PTC heater modules used in a lot of modern cars to give instant demist. This ones from a Peugeot 807 I think, and it was cheap on the bay because of the obvious (and irrelevant) damage to the wiring.

heater1.jpg

It's a little bit longer than the width of the heater box, so CNC'd a couple of brackets to mount it nicely...

heater5.jpg

All mounts up nicely, with an 80A Albright solenoid on the fan housing, to switch it on with.

heater3.jpg

Since the Ibex doesn't have a rear screen demister, I can use that switch and get a meaningful warning light on the dashboard.

I have to wait for some duff weather to find out if its really any good, but on a warm afternoon this weekend, the output air was noticeably warmer than ambient in 15-20 seconds from startup, with the fan running at full speed.

Startup current is close to 100A, dropped to a stable value just below 50A with the fan running at full chat, so typically around 800W :o (Best not forget and leave it switched on!)

Being PTC, it will draw more current as the intake air temperature falls, trying to maintain the temperature of the heater element.