A better defender heater - a new project!

simonr

Si

Sorry if you have stated it in this thread already ( i did look) But whats the porpose of a voltage sensitive relay. Stop you running the battery to low?

TSD

There seems to be alot of cables on these things, are they multiple elements?

to prevent draining of the battery when engine/alternator is not running. usually found in 90/110 rear screen heater systems.

• 3 weeks later...
I have just purchased one of these from the bay of eeee.

Said to have come from a Pug 307, but looks identical to the one above. I wouldn't be surprised if all frog cars may use the same unit.

My question regards wiring - the heavy brown wire has a ring terminal fitted, so assumed to be +ve. The other 3 wires are in a multi-pin connector housing. Are they all -ve for 3 separate sections of the heater, or some other arrangement? Can anyone shed any light before I turn it into a single use heating device?

Last night I stuck some power into my PTC (same as TSD's) and by 'eck it warmed up fast! I blew through the matrix, the air came out the other side considerably hotter :) The engine slowed a fair bit under the load.

Now TSD has mentioned this draws IRO 100A at startup. I have a relay that can handle that, but I am wondering what fuses and holders there are that can cope with such a load. I know a 300Tdi Disco has some big fuses in the engine bay, anyone know what they're rated at?

I replaced the Defender underbonnet fusebox with the midi/mega fusebox on the VWP page - not becuase of the PTC, I was going to change it anyway. Usefully, that left me a spare position to feed the PTC.

• 1 year later...

Another option would be to use a Freelander2 PTC Aux water heater (Part Number LR004074) which just sits in line with the heater hoses.

Holy thread resurrection, Batman!

Has anyone tried this? It seems like a simple, compact and easy to fit system. Am I asking too much that it should work too...?