EU attacking us again?

ejparrott

Ok, first rule of fight club…

Don’t just copy Simon's template letter; even if the writetothem.com filter doesn’t catch it, it will be ignored by the relevant M(E)P. Add some of your own content/phrases

HfH makes a valid point. To extend this further, think for a moment about MOT stations. They’re supposed to be provided, according to the proposal, with all the relevant data to spot a modification. How the hell is that going to work? We all know LR fitted bits and pieces according to what they had on the shelf. And that is by no means just confined to LR.

As has been mentioned, the end result could be that if this lunacy is enforced the MOT will end up turning into a German TuV-style test, with the tests being refused if (say) aftermarket seats are fitted. MOT stations in this country are not equipped to do that kind of digging into paperwork. This will result in the MOT test duration and cost shooting up for everyone, even Fred Bloggs the salesrep in his Eurobox.

However, have a read of this, basically saying "calm down dear, it's just a proposal". We should be organised and vigilant, definitely come up with a plan re lobbying MEPs etc, but let's see what the DfT respond to Pistonheads.

Just my £0.02

Edited because I hadn't seen Si's letter post!

However, have a read of this, basically saying "calm down dear, it's just a proposal". We should be organised and vigilant, definitely come up with a plan re lobbying MEPs etc, but let's see what the DfT respond to Pistonheads.

Just my £0.02

''Calm down dear'' is obviously a reference to Mr Cameron . Cameron also coined the word 'gold-plating' with regards to Whitehall’s practice of adding extra regulations to the tsunami of Directives from Brussels.

I don't believe a word these lying two-faced bsuggers say, I have no doubt that we will see this directive become law, it's just a matter of when. I think we need a robust response, the sooner the better.

Julian.

''Calm down dear'' is obviously a reference to Mr Cameron

Whoops, forgot about that. I liked her response though "I've been patronised by better people than him!"

Anyhoo, yes agreed re organised campaign. But I think a real "in" here could be the fact this has the potential to affect not just modified cars, but also every motorist by pushing up the cost and duration of the MOT. That IS a vote loser. It just needs to be portrayed as such, that will interest the politicians. Don't forget, when the phrase 'modified car' is used, most people still think boy racer, trousers round his knees, baseball cap on backwards, racing a Saxo round Tesco's car park on a Saturday night.

Ok, first rule of fight club…

Don’t just copy Simon's template letter; even if the writetothem.com filter doesn’t catch it, it will be ignored by the relevant M(E)P. Add some of your own content/phrases

HfH makes a valid point. To extend this further, think for a moment about MOT stations. They’re supposed to be provided, according to the proposal, with all the relevant data to spot a modification. How the hell is that going to work? We all know LR fitted bits and pieces according to what they had on the shelf. And that is by no means just confined to LR.

As has been mentioned, the end result could be that if this lunacy is enforced the MOT will end up turning into a German TuV-style test, with the tests being refused if (say) aftermarket seats are fitted. MOT stations in this country are not equipped to do that kind of digging into paperwork. This will result in the MOT test duration and cost shooting up for everyone, even Fred Bloggs the salesrep in his Eurobox.

Just my £0.02

Aftermarket seats and other items were outlawed in the late 1970's when I was working. You can't fit as an example Astra GTE seats to an Astra. Nor can you fit different mirrors. All part of the homolgation {SP} process. I think a lot is ignored.

There was no comment on my X-Eng disk handbrake on the last MOT on my Defender this year. Reading on forums it should have been noted.

Not so Mike - the MOT just assesses the vehicle condition against the set criteria in the testers' handbook. If your seats meet the criteria, eg "not likely to displace or injure" then it doesn't matter if you've made the seats yourself*.

* At the moment - that's what the EU proposal is looking to decide.

don't you just love those unelected law makers in this undemocratic E U ? mind you our legislators arn't any better.

I won't bother putting solar panels or windmills on me disco now It'll be breaking some sodding rule.

It's all about money, all they're thinking about is new ways to fine us or make up pay for things to carry on doing what we've doing for years.

This year I've had to get an operators licence to carry on with my light haulage business, I tow a trailer behind an iveco pickup

Now I'm under the same rules as a 44 tonne artic and £1000 worse off, Kerching

I don't know that its about money in this case. It looks more like an attempt to reduce the number of dangerous vehicles on the roads which has to ba applauded. The trouble is just in the 'how'?

While it is still at the proposal stage, we need our MEP's to at the very least seek clarification on some aspects of it and amendments to others.

For most countries in Europe the proposal will barely change their testing current rejime - so I doubt there will be many objections. It does and will have a big impact on the UK - so we need to make sure our MEP's stick their oar in before it's too late!

Si

a few months ago there was talk of the UK changing MOT testing to every 2 years instead of yearly, some EURO countries have a 2 yearly test, but it's not as tough as our annual MOT, that was a proposal too & seems to have been killed off.

Hmm, in theory yes, for people that maintain their vehicles, like hopefully all of us it wouldn't be a problem, this sort of thing is designed to catch the people that can't be arsed to stop that oil leak or change that tyre even though its bald.

For that reason I think trailer registration/testing is a good idea.

Its more than an idea , they are looking at testing all trailers (which means registration Costs?) also tractors that can exceed 40kmh, and vehicles with high mileages will be tested more frequently . Any vehicle with serious defect will be deregistered untill it has been tested as back to safety standard . The proposal has been circulated in Gov Memo . There was more but cant remember all of it .

i must admit, trailers are usually neglected, especially when it comes to keeping the overrun brakes in good condition, something that me and my dad are keen on as it not only makes it a hell of a lot safer to tow, it makes a nicer tow, and wears out the vehicles brakes a LOT less.

Maybee someone who is good at writing letters ( and can spell!)could post a draft up here that we could all copy and print and send to our own MP's,MEP's etc?

That’s a very good idea we must have a legal in our midst or someone savvy to the ways of the politician who could pen something we could all print and target a campaign.

This is horrific I can’t imagine the effects it would have. Did we fight the oppression of the Jack boot to be cowed by the insidious Brussels thought police? (person I'm not that keen on) and to short circuit the text censor (persons I am not keen on of dubious parentage)

Someone has already got there. https://submissions....8/signature/new. If this seems OK, rather than dilute the signatures, I would go with this one

Don't sign it!!

If you read the (semi-literate) text of the petition, he is proposing to ban modifications to all vehicles, out of spite because he feels bikers are being unfairly discriminated against.

As most motorcyclists know the EU is currently in discussion to take ALL our rights away to choose what we ride , how we modify & service and carry work out on our own vehicles as well as what we wear on our motorcycles , this is discrimination, I propose a ban on ALL vehicle modifications , so there for ALL road registered vehicle is standard , and have a regulated decibel limit of 80 decibels , all vehicle owners shall not be allowed to repair or service their own vehicle , it is not one rule for one & 6 for another all legal road users need the same laws !

Bold emphasis added by me.

We could do without semi-literate spokesmen clouding the issue