Front towbar installation

Simon_CSK

I am in the process of installing a receiver hitch to the front of my Disco. A right Bu**er to get in without removing the front bumper but that is an aside. I am nearly ready to bolt it up but I am concerned about the projection to the front of the car and wondering if I should modify it by shortening it and re drilling the hole for the pin. From the pictures below I would be interested in your views and if anybody has knowledge of legislation.

IMG_01843.jpg

IMG_01831.jpg

Side View

IMG_01821.jpg

View from above

The only time you'll see an issue is at a roadside inspection or at MOT. Since the MOT standards are higher, I've highlighted a couple with the potential to cause you an issue. Obviously you'll need to notify your insurer of the modification too...

Unless it meets the MOT reason for refusal: "A sharp edge or projection, caused by corrosion or damage, which renders the vehicle dangerous to other road users including pedestrians" then it should be ok.

There's scope for a failure under "Towbar assembly is attached to the vehicle structure using a mounting, support or fixing which is obviously of an inappropriate size or type." but you could either argue the adequacy of your mounting (if it's under question) or label it 'not a towing point' (despite what you might use it for). Or just remove it for the MOT.

The only legislation that I know of that would cover this area is the SVA regs, and you should not have to send your car for a SVA test unless you have changed the chassis to mount the front towbar (A very grey area but bolting something to the chassis should not count).

If you decided to play on the safe side and comply with the SVA regs then :-

A quick read would mean that all edges would need a minimum 2.5mm radius.

If you were to move it back then if it were to stick out less than 5mm but more than 1.5mm then it would only need blunting.

My suggestion would be to cut a hole in a tennis ball and push it on (stops water and mud entering the receiver making it easier to fit the towbar when needed)

Have removed it for just now. I bought it off eBay new but used if you know what I mean a very sturdy piece of kit. I was thinking about fabricating a winch mount myself but once I felt the weight of the winch I decided to go the proprietary route.

There is scope to cut 75mm or 3in off the length. and re-drill the hole. I think that is the better option that worrying about the projection it will mean that it sits about 25mm or an inch behind the actual bumper so that should then be OK?

It does look unsightly sticking way out front anyway and as this is supposed to be a road car for me I want to make it as unobtrusive as possible but still giving me the scope for toys and fun.

I can certainly put a tennis ball over it my dog seems to find them all over the place so I have quite a few.

Thanks for your help guys.

Legalese aside you will probably inflict a lot of damage if you hit a soft target with that. So from that point of view I would indeed make sure it is well inside the bumper taking into account any deformation in said bumper. If possible I would make the thing removable...

• 2 weeks later...