Front seats

Defender seats are so unique, I've not seen any seat that really does it justice. I've not seen anything that comes close to the two part design.

They are from such an early stage in automotive evolution, when series seats were first developed the "standard" for how a car seat should be wasn't developed. Defenders don't use car seats, they use Defender seats.

Just my tuppence worth!

Defender seats [90/110] were based on the Cox design for the Leyland T45 range of trucks.

Interesting. That might actually be a better source of seats. Truck/van seats invariable sit above the wheel arch, which is exactly what is needed for a Defender!

Hi Smasher,

I fitted a pair of Audi A4 front seats, I did have to cut bits off and weld a frame to them, they look good but more importantly allow the seat to run back for more leg room

Can post piccies if you want?

Cheers

G :)

Iv fitted corbeau forza sport and they are very comfy (even for me being a bigger boy), was gona fit a full bucket but that plan was thrown out the window after getting a lift to work in a bucketed nova 1 morning. If its comfort you want never ever fit a full bucket seat.

These are my '96 Saab 9000 seats...

Soooo comfy, drivers has lumbar support adjustment, height adjustment and front edge adjustment for under your thighs.

Ray

Ooooooooooohhh Sexy looking seats... :moglite:

How did you get them to fit? Did you make a small subframe for them?

I really like the look of them though. very nice.

Here's the site where I got my info from. But he's gone to a lot more trouble than I did with his mounting, he made stiffeners which he put on top of the seat box.

http://www.clarke.ca/post.cfm/saab-9000-seats-in-land-rover

I just put the Saab rails straight on to the seat box. I have put large flat washers inside the seatbox though, which the rail bolts go though, because a couple of the rail bolts do end up too far from the folded or doubled areas of the alloy seat box. There would have been a bit of flex. After working out where the rails go and where you're going to drill, undo the horizontal bolts on each side of the seat-bases and remove the bases from the frames. Then you can work through the frames to do up nuts etc inside the seatbox. You can see the bolts I'm taking about in a couple of that guys pictures.

You'll pretty much lose easy access to the battery box, so it would pay to run an isolation switch for your battery +ve, if you haven't already, and an Anderson Plug somewhere if you need to attach jumper leads. You would have to undo the bolts on each side of the seat base and remove it from the frame to get to the battery for maintenance etc.

In the cab of the 110, I can't get as much rake on the seatback as I'd really like, because the top of the seatback hits the back of the cab. In a station wagon, you'd be sweet.

Ray.

It might just be that your original seats are worn out and a new set of Defender seats would be comfortable to you. Alternatively, Exmoor Trim do various options on seats based on Defender seats with more lumbar and bolster lateral support. You could also try a TDCI Defender seat, which is a real leap forward from the earlier seats, but will still bolt straight in and should cause no problem for the MoT or insurance as it is just a Defender seat... Importantly, all of these will have the correct geometry and will have removable seat bases to get at the tool box, batteries or fuel tank.

Had a look in the scrap yard this weekend. Found a great set of electric volvo seats! worth a go fitting? :blink:

Also see that paddocks do series 3 deluxe seats. Will they be a plain swap never stopped to look at them???

http://www.paddockspares.com/mrc6982h-deluxe-outer-seat-highback.html

http://www.paddockspares.com/mrc6980-deluxe-outer-seat-base.html

In the 90's, some lorry seats had two handles/levers on the right hand side of the seat, just under the pad, for mechanical adjustment of the height and angle of the seat. The front handle tipped the seat back and the rear handle tipped the seat forward. You could, therefore, adjust the seat to any height you wanted, at any angle. For example, you would adjust the seat, using both handles, to raise the seat to the height that was most comfortable. If you preferred more support behind your knees, you'd raise the seat slightly at the front (tipping the seat slightly back but maintaining the height), using the front handle only. I've not seen them on artics for a few years now as they're all air assisted; however, DAF45's (7.5 tonners) currently have a similar design and I've seen them on 05, 55 and 06 vehicles. It might be worth visiting a commercial vehicle breakers yard...

Incidentally, lorry seats also recline and, sometimes, there is a handle just below the front of the seat pad to adjust the pad forwards and backwards (useful if you have long legs and you want support underneath them). Some seats also have mechanical adjustment behind the shoulders, neck and head. IIRC, Isringhausen was the most common seat manufacturer.

Hi Smasher,

These are my seats below, they are Audi seats (I'm sure I got them out of an A4). I did have to hack around the original Audi undercarriage and weld a frame to the seat chassis so they could fit to the original LR seat runners. (not too difficult if you are the fettling kind :) ).

These seats also have lumber adjustment, I have a bulkhead removal bar fitted so this gives plenty of leg room which was lucky for me as I fitted a removable steering wheel which brings the steering wheel an extra inch towards the driver.

Have a squint below (remember to click the pics to see them in larger format):

post-1366-0-72862700-1346830256_thumb.jpg

post-1366-0-67038800-1346830272_thumb.jpg

post-1366-0-53653400-1346830238_thumb.jpg

Hope this helps for ideas

All the best.

Nice one Gruntus. Looking at your rails, your old seats must've been like mine, the mid 80's two peice ones with the fixed backrest and the drop-in pad on the wood base?

Ray.

Hi Ray,

Yes thats exactly the case, I made up the frames on the new seats so that they could dropped onto the rails and bolted in place. If needed I can unbolt them and put the old seats back in place.

Cheers