Road registering a Sankey trailer - How?

alfaman

I've just found this bit of info, changes are a coming!!??

That's been around for a while, I wanted to see if I could get mine through it, but VOSA said (18 months ago) that they hadn't even set the test yet and it was likely to apply to new trailers and not old ones despite what the chart says.

From what I understood at the time the main trailer makers were struggling to meet the regulations and most of their trailers failed the process, mainly due to sharp edges etc so they were looking again at the rules.

I have no doubt that an MOT/type approval for trailers will come, and despite the pain I think it's a good thing it should cut down on doggy trailers but also caravans that are left in a field for eight months over winter and then hitched up and towed down the motorway, when they end up across the road the owner just can't understand what happened!! Some people have no idea about servicing their trailers/caravans but will service their car, as there is no engine they think they can forget about it.

I built my trailer with this in mind and if I need to change the chassis to one that is type approved I can, but hopefully they will apply the rules with some sense similar to the current MOT rules where some rules don't apply for older trucks and as long as you can show the trailer is in good condition with working lights and brakes a solid chassis and good tyres/bearings.

As above I have been stopped at a VOSA testing station with mine, they asked lots of questions about the trailer checked the lights looked at the tyres tried to shake the wheels, had a good look underneath and then asked me to reverse the trailer to prove the brakes worked when I couldn't overpower them they were more than happy.

Jason.

According to here

Any idea what the official G.V.W. of a MKIII Wolf Sankey is?

The plate fitted does not show any details regarding weights.

That's one of the main reasons I stamped my own plate and removed the original. I stamped it at 1,400 kgs GVW the trailer weighs about 650kgs and has a load capacity of 3/4 of a ton or around 750kgs currently mine weighs around 800kgs which gives me plenty of load capacity.

Jason.

It was with the plunger up I think but could have been the handbrake it was a while ago, they really didn't seem bothered once I had proved that the brakes worked and the trailer was in good condition. I think they were disappointed that there was no fine to issue.

I have recently serviced my trailer (post 366) this year and replaced the brake pads, and changed the brake fluid, re-greased everything and checked everything was tight it is surprising which bits had come loose over the past year, it took me a couple of hours and cost less than £15 in parts (£8.00 for the four pads and then £5 for fluid and grease) I think as long as you can show that you keep these things in good condition you should be fine with any new regulations, in all my conversations with VOSA, their aim was to cut out the unsafe trailers not penalise responsible owners also by having a log book their hope was also to reduce trailer theft if possible.

They said that over 80% of trailer stopped are judged to not be road worthy at the moment!

Jason.

in all my conversations with VOSA, their aim was to cut out the unsafe trailers not penalise responsible owners also by having a log book their hope was also to reduce trailer theft if possible.

Jason.

That's the 'official' reason. However, like all government bodies there's a good deal of disingenuous spin, their main task is to issue as many fines as they can as they have to entirely 'self-fund' and provide their own revenue. (like British Waterways or the CAA)

Julian.

Julian.

I see no reason why you couldn't get it registered, with whom would be the issue, if you are also based in the EU you could try other authorites as currently VOSA don't seem interested.

Jason

Jason, can you tell me where you got the breakaway cable from please?

I got mine from Newbury sort out lots around as the MOD must have brought thousands that they didn't fit! All the ex-MOD places seem to sell them.

Breakaway cables are all over ebay cheap as chips ......

Just be careful you need a long one, I first measured mine with the brake on which shortens the length, once the brake was released it didn't fit. Doh!!

Then just paid a couple of quid for one at Newbury.

Jason

Just be careful you need a long one, I first measured mine with the brake on which shortens the length, once the brake was released it didn't fit. Doh!!

Then just paid a couple of quid for one at Newbury.

Jason

Apologies, didn't realise that they were longer than a normal one.

DVLA do, if memory serves, have a sort of optional V5-alike for things like quad bikes, trailers, caravans, etc. where you can record the serial number & your name & address as proof of ownership and whatnot. My mum's caravan came with paperwork. I believe they're happy enough for you to put any sort of identifying number on there, even if you've stamped it on there yourself.

That would be interesting. I have emailed both the AA (Who issue ICMV's) and the DVLA to see if I can get some sort of paperwork to satisfy the border/custom guys in central Asia and Russia. I was going to change my V5 details for the trailer but problems will likely arise when I cannot produce an ICMV for the trailer :( If these are printed like an IDP with card cover then replicating them will be a problem.

In the meantime I will get an MOD breakaway cable fitted as Jason suggested and possibly an extra chain which will also aid security.

If push comes to shove then a modified V5c will be the way to go.

G

That's the 'official' reason. However, like all government bodies there's a good deal of disingenuous spin, their main task is to issue as many fines as they can as they have to entirely 'self-fund' and provide their own revenue. (like British Waterways or the CAA)

Julian.

Julian.

I can't talk for the Waterways, but have plenty of experience with the CAA, and they don't look to penalise companies or individuals at all. In fact, they seem, in my opinion, to turn too much of a blind eye to things and the rest of the word's aviation authorities are even worse. But you are absolutely right in that they have to raise a lot of their funding autonomously rather than being paid by central government.

I have an old narrow track Sankey with mechanical rather than hydraulic brakes. It doesn't have any breakaway system and it sounds like a good idea to retrofit one. Can it be done on these older versions? Photos of where the cable attaches would be very useful, as would a photo and measurements of the correct cable and fixings, if anyone can help, please.

I can't talk for the Waterways, but have plenty of experience with the CAA, and they don't look to penalise companies or individuals at all. In fact, they seem, in my opinion, to turn too much of a blind eye to things and the rest of the word's aviation authorities are even worse. But you are absolutely right in that they have to raise a lot of their funding autonomously rather than being paid by central government.

Yes, the examples I gave were just by way of examples, ie gubbinsments departments that have to 'self-fund' and not get cash from central gubbinsment coffers.

Talking CAA turning a blind eye, you are right, they certainly can adopt a blind eye, but I remember once watching their surveyors at work at about 2 in the morning looking over the fleet of Emerald Airways freighters at Liverpool. 'Bladdy-Hell, I thought, civil servants working at this hour, there's trouble here! (as indeed there was)

Julian.

I have an old narrow track Sankey with mechanical rather than hydraulic brakes. It doesn't have any breakaway system and it sounds like a good idea to retrofit one. Can it be done on these older versions? Photos of where the cable attaches would be very useful, as would a photo and measurements of the correct cable and fixings, if anyone can help, please.

I don't know about other trailers as I have a MK 3, unfortunately it on it's own break at the moment so I can't measure the cable I have found but am having issues with image shack at the moment so you may need to click on the link

brakeawaycable.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

http://imageshack.us.../trailer5h.jpg/

Jason.

on Dixon-Bate now part of Bradley Doublelock on the NATO pintle page is clearly states TUV Approved

http://www.dixonbate...PartNo=FV987958 scroll up on the page insert slider, it is not a clickable link, so maybe a e.mail to BD would get a copy of the TUV Approval certificate.

I have a PDF file (TUV Approval Certificate) from them, sent today, unfortunately I can't upload it here. The file is 2.03MB, but the maximum file up-load size I can do is 1.95MB.

If you would like a copy of it, I can e-mail it to you, get it contact if you want it.

• 2 years later...