...potential swivel problem...need advice

CBolton

Hi all

I had a problem with oil or grease on the inside of my front brake disc....I cleaned it, it came back...so stripped down front hub

stub and back of hub were a mess

DSC04290.jpg

DSC04291.jpg

I cleaned all up, completely cleaned bearings and fitted a new seal on back of hub, filled swivel with lucas hub oil.....after driving again got trail on front disc again...cleaned disc...came back

found this when i took off the end cap

DSC04293.jpg

the bearings were completely contaminated again...seemed to come through nose of stub

I stripped it all...thoroughly cleaned the bearings, this topped up with one shot swivel grease

overnight it seems the problem has revelaed itself...

DSC04296.jpg

DSC04297.jpg

oil/grease is leaking out from the stub....so is this a knackered swivel ? will it need a rebuild ? if I leave it i assume I will get the same problem with the leak then contaminating the bearings ?

I would suggest removing the stub axle and replacing the seal in the back of the stub.

^^

Where the swivel housing bolts to the axle casing - there is a seal here. This is what's leaking.

G

The quarter shaft seal doesn't look to be working, but even if it fails, the oil shouldn't be coming out of the stub axel seal. If oil can escape the wheel bearing space, then water can get in to the wheel bearing greece. Something must have gone wrong with the new stub axel seal that is fitted into the hub.

Has the stub axel got rough where the seal sits?

Check the stub axle too, if its got a mega rough seal face then it will let oil past pretty quick as it will chew up the new seal, stubs aresn't usually that expensive to change out.

Also check your axle breathers (not blocked), if your axle tube is not venting when it warms up it will pressurise the tube and force oil out the ends.

Mav

...right ok stub is off and swivel cleaned right out...also diff emptied incase of water ingress or incorrect oil level...breather hose will be sorted next month as fitting extended breathers all round..

....still not sure how much to replace....so firstly as I have never seen the back of a stub before....the bearing looks good...but is there meant to be a seal visible or is it part of bearing bit ??

DSC04316.jpg

DSC04318.jpg

thats right just the roller bearing in the stub (no seal!)

looking at what you had coming out of the stub axle it looks like you had water/mud the swivel, have to ask did it smell like ep90?

if it did then that would be the seal in the swivel ball at the axle end,

if it was just mud/water then it would be the swivel sweap seal eitherway the swivel has to be removed from the axle to do either of the seals so just do both.

I thought there was a seal in there, so I'm going mad. And I've got the early axels and they don't have a quarter shaft seal either. my appologies for suggesting it had one there.

But I think there is a chrome ball axel with a seal in the end? Prefix 'B'? But it is in a daft place by the wheel bearing nuts.

Enough of my minds tricks though! How is the hub seal-path looking?

Ah ha! I nearly wasnt making it up :)

http://www.lrseries....EARING-KIT.html

Shows a slim looking seal. You fit the outer bearing, then a thick washer with a D shaped hole, then the seal, then the nut, then adjust and so on. Greece stays in the bearing, oil stays in the flange to lube the quarter shaft splines.

I was sat here thinking that I was sure there was a seperating seal, and that I bought some, and they didn't fit the prefix 'A' I needed for ashcroft CV's, and that I grumped at my wasted cash ;)

But no idea if the axel you have there takes them?