24 spline shafts in a drum brake rear axle?

A mate of mine wants to fit the same rear axle setup as I have (disovery disc axle with ARB locker and 24spline shafts) but is having trouble finding a good disc brake axle at the moment. Being impatient he wants to fit the locker now and then swap it when he finds an axle. The thing we are not sure of is will the 24spline half shafts go in the drum brake (Freg 90) rear axle. This will only be a short term thing untill he finds an axle. There is a shoulder on the newer shafts for the seal to run on but that wont be a problem. Only thing I can see being a problem is the length of the shafts, bolt pattern on the drive flange (which im sure is the same) and the diameter if there is anything in the drum axle thats too small for the 24spline shafts. Anyone know if its possible? or has anyone got 24spline internals running in a drum brake axle? Any help would be appreciated.

Many thanks.

Steve,

I did exactly this. I fitted a 24 spline arb (rd56) into a metric diff and fitted to my B reg 90 drum braked axle. I then used ashcrofts HD 1/2 early thick flange type shafts to suit the axle. I fitted these with a new thick drive flange. The whole set up worked fine.

I later found enough bits to do a disk braked conversion. It was only after I had fitted the 1/2 shafts from my drum braked axle into the disk braked one that I woundered how far the splines engaged (or not!) in the diff. Ended up speaking to Dave at Ascrofts who at first said it wasn't possible. How ever if you use the realy thick hub on the shafts it does work. However the drive flange bolt holes need elongating by about 0.5mm each as the bolt PCD on the disk braked axle is different. You will also find the the loacting spigot on the back of the drive flange will be under size. Apparently they work fine, but I had the spigot on the drive flange sleaved to provide a positive location for the flange. I have used this set up for over a year with no problems.

Adrian

FWIW my experience is pretty much identical. RD56, metric diff and 24 spline KAM shafts with think flanges into a drum braked 90 axle. Now replaced by early RR disc axle and have had to mod the hub flanges to suit the different pcd. Need to update the hubs next to metric (or get different drive flanges)

Note I did try to use some genuine (300tdi defender I think) 24spline shafts with the ARB and drum axle but these didn't fit. Can't recall why but got the KAM shafts which were fine.

You can also use "HD" axles from the heavy duty (24 spline) axles that came with MOD and V8 90s. They seem to be quite a nit stronger than the later model 24 spline shafts.

so to veer a bit off topic, what's up front in MOD 90/110's?

aeu2522, 10 spline shaft, 2 pin diff?

i've read lots of conflicting reports on whats in them, can't say i've been so curious as to take it apart yet.

Guest diesel_jim
You can also use "HD" axles from the heavy duty (24 spline) axles that came with MOD and V8 90s. They seem to be quite a nit stronger than the later model 24 spline shafts.

And bearmach do them very cheaply.... about £25 each IIRC. i've got one in my 90 and it's not broken so far!

MOD 90/110's (talking pre-WOLF here) used 4-pinion diffs & 24-spline shafts.

When I replaced the drum-braked rear axle on my ex-MOD 90 for a disc-braked Disco one a couple of years ago I junked the Disco diff & shafts (10-spline) and used my old ones in the replacement casing. Straight swop.

And bearmach do them very cheaply.... about £25 each IIRC. i've got one in my 90 and it's not broken so far!

I'm try to break them as well.........because Jim said they were good.........so when they break I can bring them to Blighty to knock Jim over the head with :lol: . Do you think they would allow a halfshaft on the plane??

Guest diesel_jim
MOD 90/110's (talking pre-WOLF here) used 4-pinion diffs & 24-spline shafts.

When I replaced the drum-braked rear axle on my ex-MOD 90 for a disc-braked Disco one a couple of years ago I junked the Disco diff & shafts (10-spline) and used my old ones in the replacement casing. Straight swop.

Not all MoD 90's had the 4 pin diff though... depends on the contract number.