Buying a 90 - do I go old and cheaper OR newer and more expensive

Looking in the up to £10k bracket - Been thinking about it for a while - had other 4x4's before but really always fancied a 90 - will be used mainly on the road with a little green lane'ing in he winter - nothing serious!

I'm not hugely mechanically minded - I have a good garage I use who have dealt with friends LR's before - I'll be willing to do some bodywork/interior refurb stuff myself but will leave he under the bonnet stuff to him.

My dilemma is

Do I spend 3-5k on an older higher mileage model which Will need some work sooner rather than later or do I bite the bullet and buy a newer model - normally a decision like this with cars is a no brainer but defenders are a bit different and does 50k less mileage and 10 years less age make 5k's worn of difference?

I know this is like asking "what is he meaning of life?" to scientists but would be interested in hearing your views

Also located in he Kent/Sussex area - anyone recommend any good LR second hand dealers in his area?

Cheers

Mark

I would say age is not so much a factor with defenders, more general mechanical condition. My 90 is one of the first, and apart from a new issue with the engine which I will resolve in short order (positive mental attitude :)) it is in way better condition than a lot of much later ones.

I'd keep an eye out for an older defender that's had a galvanised chassis fitted - it gets rid of one of the biggest issues for the non DIYer which is welding - unless you are very friendly with the garage they will likely charge you a fortune for chassis welding.

And as has been said above, I'd also go on condition rather than age/mileage - 100k miles gentle use from someone that's looked after is very different from 50k of neglect axle deep in cow **** from a farmer somewhere ;)

I'd also budget on some tools and plan on learning a bit about how it all works - LRs aren't much like a typical modern car that you can leave them alone for 10K between services, they tend to require checking and tinkering fairly regularly, which is all part of the fun :)

I'd also budget on some tools and plan on learning a bit about how it all works - LRs aren't much like a typical modern car that you can leave them alone for 10K between services, they tend to require checking and tinkering fairly regularly, which is all part of the fun :)

In many ways they are far easier to work on than modern cars, I much prefer working on a defender :)

When I bought my 110, we were on a limited budget. So, I roughly divided the war chest in two, one half for the purchase, and one half for bringing it up to standard / repairs etc. A good tool kit, and a workshop manual are almost a must. In the 5 years I've had my 110, the only major was the engine change!

Above all, enjoy, it adds a new dimension to your driving experience!

In many ways they are far easier to work on than modern cars, I much prefer working on a defender :)

You can fix a lot more on a landy with a hammer and an adjustable spanner at the roadside than you can on a newer car ;)

That said - being a series mine has an interesting mix of metric, imperial and whitworth which can make finding the right socket a pain ;)

My 2 peneth would be:

Make a list of things you want on the landy divide this into must have, nice to have, not really needed and then start there.

For example you will probably see lots of cheap Defenders around your area that are old and non LEZ trucks, fine if you never go into or through London, but at £100 a time could get expensive.

If you want a roof rack or spots factor that in and if the truck you look at does not have it, just take that off your £10k.

Defender pricing has no defined logic, I have seen some people pay a small fortune for a bucket of bits whilst others have picked up a mint Defender for peanuts, often with thousands of pounds worth of extras on, most of which they end up selling.

My recommendation at the money you want to spend would be by private, you will not get any real cover from a car dealer and will just be paying for a valet and on most occasions a cover up of the bad bits.

If you don't know Defenders that well either find someone who does (lots of people on here will often help) or go and see loads, Shiny paint and chequer plate are reasons on a 10 year old car to be cautious. The normal areas to look out for are chassis (outriggers and cross member) bulkhead is probably the next big thing it rots in the footwells and around the corners of the windscreen. Then you need to look at doors as these rot out from the bottom.

Then set out to find your truck for that money you should be able to get a nice 300tdi or an early TD5, again there are pluses and minius's to each and asking price is no indication of condition!!

I know that this has not answered your question directly, but has hopefully spread some light on the pitfalls of Land Rover ownership.

Jason.

I'd definately second Jasons suggestion of finding someone knowledgable to go and have a look with you - defenders have been going for 28 years now and it helps to have an idea of what's desireable or not in terms of trim/engines/transmission and personal modifications that have been made - and as said there are lots of ways people hide problems so it's good to know what to look for.

I've seen quite a few blatant ringers over the last few months as well, so again good to know what to look out for.

As said, age or mileage isn't a massive factor, you want a good solid chassis and bulkhead, and a car that's been well maintained with regular services - see plenty before you buy, there is no shortage of them out there so be choosy. Personally I'd buy a nice standard looking one and add bits I needed rather than be lured by bolt on bits that might indicate it's been used and abused in anger.

Thats loads of fantastic feedback - thanks so much everyone for being so generous with sharing your knowledge and time

Yes, taking my time and looking around I think is going to be key - hard when you want to go out and get stuck in but deffo worth it in the long run

I'll print all your comments out in the morning and make myself a good check list - I have already started to identify a friendly face at the pub that is involved in LR's and I think I may be able to get some help in looking at potentials.

Likewise, like buying a house, thinking about the longer term for starting basic and building up seems a good idea - as well as setting aside money for repairs/replacement parts - yes part of the attraction of getting a defender is learning how to do some of he basic mechanical stuff and grow that knowledge over the years - as well as a decent toolkit!

As someone that started driving at 17 who worked in a decent job, I was always lucky enough to have a fairly new car and didn't have to worry about serious servicing etc - now in my 40's, I'm looking forward to literally getting my hands dirty and spending time getting to know my future purchase - no doubt very intimately!

I will be an avid reader of the LR4x4 forum and will keep you updated on progress

Cheers

Mark

In my opinion your two choices have the following drawbacks. The newer shiney model would still be half way through it's expected chassis life and the untouched older model could just be a money pit.

There is another option to the two that you are thinking about. Have a 90 built to your specification !

If I had that sort of money to spend on a Defender it would definitely be an older model. I know a guy in the Bristol area that was selling a 300tdi 110 CSW for £10K, two years ago. He had rebuilt it with a galvanised chassis and all the bits were done. He did a good job with no corners cut.

Starting with the correct base vehicle and upgrading it within the VOSA points system you can have just what you want

Mark if you send me a PM with your email address I will send you a word Doc I used when buying mine.

It was a post written by someone on here (sorry I forget who) for a friend of theirs who knows nothing about LRs so some bits may be a bit basic. But it has lots of good information about where to look :)

I Would post it up here but the forum doesn't like Word Docs.

Ross

He did a good job with no corners cut.

I've not seen *anything* built by *anyone* that didn't have at least one corner cut, and most enthusiast-built or modified LR's I would steer clear of, for a newbie I'd strongly advise avoiding those sorts of vehicles as you can't be sure of what's been done and how well. Let's face it, half of the popular ones are eBay classic lies;

"Reconditioned" = wiped a rag over it & slapped some paint on

"Undersealed" = to hide the rust

"Rebuilt" = using how many Britpart bits?

etc. etc.

(Witness the enthusiastic descriptions of utter sheds on the eBay disasters thread)

I would advise joining a decent local club (or local arm of a national club) and getting to know a few people, that way you can see who's talking sense, find someone who'll cast an eye over prospective purchases, maybe even find someone selling something decent (although as I've just said, enthusiasts do not always make great owners).

I've not seen *anything* built by *anyone* that didn't have at least one corner cut, and most enthusiast-built or modified LR's I would steer clear of, for a newbie I'd strongly advise avoiding those sorts of vehicles as you can't be sure of what's been done and how well. Let's face it, half of the popular ones are eBay classic lies;

"Reconditioned" = wiped a rag over it & slapped some paint on

"Undersealed" = to hide the rust

"Rebuilt" = using how many Britpart bits?

etc. etc.

(Witness the enthusiastic descriptions of utter sheds on the eBay disasters thread)

I would advise joining a decent local club (or local arm of a national club) and getting to know a few people, that way you can see who's talking sense, find someone who'll cast an eye over prospective purchases, maybe even find someone selling something decent (although as I've just said, enthusiasts do not always make great owners).

Agree with old man Fridge. buying defenders is a total minefield. like previously said too, don't get distracted with all the bling... I did... and look what I ended up with... :ph34r::i-m_so_happy:

I'll ignore that ageist slur from Maverik... you kids with your twitbooks and iDriods and yer coil suspensions...

Bling bits are never worth it and never add to the value of the car.

Say for example you decide you really need a winch on your LR. Buying a winch + split charge + batteries + wiring might cost you £1000. So you find one with winch already fitted and you think "great, that's saved me £1000". But it hasn't, because the thing might not be the same winch, it might be shagged (many are), it might be wired in badly or with cheap bits, the batteries might be 10 years old, etc. etc. and you'll end up spending time & money sorting it out when you could've started from scratch, done it how you wanted and been up & running easier. Plus the one with the winch fitted was probably trying to get an extra £1000 for it in the first place.

Chap in the club bought a 90 with a snorkel fitted, found out (once sat in a muddy hole full of water) that the last guy hadn't sealed it properly - one new engine later...

Agree with old man Fridge. buying defenders is a total minefield. like previously said too, don't get distracted with all the bling... I did... and look what I ended up with... :ph34r::i-m_so_happy:

With 3 discoverys and no one wants that!!