reversing camera kit

western

Some piccies:

post-74-0-00948100-1353483844_thumb.jpg

You can see the original mirror mount top left. It's attached to the windscreen with a sucker.

post-74-0-23950300-1353483872_thumb.jpg

This was reversing out of my drive at 07:00 - almost completely dark save for reversing light though the camera is picking up blue sky (which my eyes were not!)

post-74-0-46505900-1353483863_thumb.jpg

Arrive at work - still dark outside.

I've mounted the camera above the trailer hitch as it's real purpose is to aid in hitching trailers. It's also why the angle of the view is a bit low. The bottom of the picture is the tip of my hitch (at least when I have a drop hitch in the receiver).

The most unlikely thing is that if you use it in the half lite on a day like today when the rain is pouring - on the screen it looks like a sunny day. This morning I was wishing I could go wherever the camera is - rather than to work!.....

Si

post-74-0-10045500-1353483853_thumb.jpg

This is my reverse camera setup.

It's using a Ford F150 mirror and a cheapy ebay camera (Which needs replacing due to water / condensation inside). It switches part of the mirror into a screen when reverse is selected.

The mirror also has a mic that i could use for my handsfree if so wished.

G

Simon,

Really good to see an alternative application....

A few questions from me if I may....

Does the screen / mirror shake any more than the normal mirror did when in normal use?

What's the reflection / blinded by the car behind effect like compared to a dipped mirror?

Because of the chosen location of the camera, have you found it gets dirty / wet and compromise it's useability?

Looks the best I've seen so far...

I have also just bought the one in the eBay link for my 110. I was actually quite impressed with the image quality even in darkness (until I just saw Simon's post) but its more than adequate and for £37 you can't go wrong.

I have the camera and the screen powered from the ignition feed and the blue/green connected to the reverse light feed. If you power the screen up and then turn it off on the screen itself it will "remember" to stay in off/mirror mode even when powered until it receives a signal on the blue/green wire. It will "remember" to operate in this way from then on so you only have to set it once.

The screen does not shake at all!

I have no rear visibility, so reflections are not much of an issue. The brightness of the screen is limited, where the brightness of a reflection is not - so worst case if a car behind has main beam on, it whites out part of the screen. It's a lot less bright than the reflection in the door mirrors. So, I would say better than a rear view mirror in that respect.

The only negative is that even in the dark, because of the IR illumination the screen always shows an image which can be a bit distracting. I think I'll fit a switch to turn it off for driving on little country lanes at midnight.

The Camera stays remarkably clean considering the location. I think most of the dirt lands higher up the back of the truck. The worst that seems to happen is when a drop of water lands on the lens which is illuminated by the IR LED's and shows as a bright white blob! The camera is good enough though that this does not stop it displaying the rest of the image.

I'm so impressed, I'm going to order another camera to look at the winch!

I have the rear camera mounted on two Neodymium magnets so I can stick it to anything made of steel. Might be useful for taking a look at the underside when you are driving over rocks etc!

Si

I have been looking at this web site for better quality night cameras with Infra-red. The CMOS cameras could be a little weak for night viewing. see this page.

http://www.parkingcameras.com/store/pages.php?pageid=11

I am looking at this kit from this company, its not cheap at £120, but the night images look very good:

http://www.parkingcameras.com/store/product.php?productid=51&cat=12&page=1

Has anyone used this company before

I have the rear camera mounted on two Neodymium magnets so I can stick it to anything made of steel. Might be useful for taking a look at the underside when you are driving over rocks etc!

"SimonR" - where space age meets.... LAND ROVER... I had to google "Neodymium magnets" sounds science fiction, and thats coming from me. never one to disapoint with your inovation. :i-m_so_happy:

As an example of CMOS versus CCD:

HB005_night_view.jpg

The above is with a CCD Camera and below the same scene with CMOS

HB005_night_view_car_lights.jpg

CCD Daytime:

CAM062_pointing_along_road.jpg

CMOS Daytime

Veise_CMOS_bracket_reversing_camera_up_view.jpg

The apparent quality difference is backed up by my own experience of both - in particular for night time use.

Si

ah, i was asuming the gearbox reverse switch switched to ground to trigger a relay to feed 12v to the reverse light, which might be fused.

so does it just go fuse to switch to light?

No you won't get a "12v while reversing" feed from the fuse box as that's before the reverse switch. You could pick it up either at the reverse switch on the gearbox or at the reverse light.

a

I have also just bought the one in the eBay link for my 110. I was actually quite impressed with the image quality even in darkness (until I just saw Simon's post) but its more than adequate and for £37 you can't go wrong.

I have the camera and the screen powered from the ignition feed and the blue/green connected to the reverse light feed. If you power the screen up and then turn it off on the screen itself it will "remember" to stay in off/mirror mode even when powered until it receives a signal on the blue/green wire. It will "remember" to operate in this way from then on so you only have to set it once.

I'll try wiring mine like this & see what happens.

ParkingcamerasUk and ReversingcamerasUK seem to be the same company operating from two addresses in Ramsgate, the websites us the same camera images.

I got mine from ReversingcamerasUK, the service was very good and the advice honest, I'd buy from them again.

As long as your screen supports it there should be two video inputs.

One for regular feed and one for the reversing camera.

The usual feed is interrupted when the the reversing camera comes on and sends video to the screen.

You need your reversing camera powered by your reversing light.

Just patch in to the positive feed to your reversing light so the camera comes on with the reversing light.

So its just a matter of plugging your two video sources in and the screen switches automatically when the reversing camera comes on.

Gordon

Just a little word of caution to anyone mounting a camera forward facing. The lights around the lense glow red and may not be strictly legal. Having said that, I would assume most use of forward facing cameras would be whilst winching, or car park manouvering.

I have this one in the back of the roof next to the washer jet. Its tiny, and a remarkable picture considering the cost includes a hole saw and postage from china! Yes I know the listing says UK, and that is a bit sneaky, but it still took less than a week to arrive which is better than many UK companies can manage.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/310412650129?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

I fiited the screen on the face of the dash to the left of the instruments as I didn't want to cut the sun visors. The only disadvantage I found today is when the sun is low and in the wrong place you can't see much because it is highly polished so you can use it as a mirror, which may be less of an issue with it at roof level.