reversing camera kit

western

• 2 months later...

i've been using the 2 cameras with the mirror monitor for a while.

i fitted the little camera that came with the holesaw above the rear door as permanent view and the other camera pointing down at the tow bar as reversing view

i've found 2 problems:

both cameras have the lines on them for reversing, and the permanent view camera has a line across right where a car would normally be behind you

and on a sunny day the screen is still a good mirror, so you see a small car displayed by the camera and a giant car flying through the sky. nearly crashed teh car first time i saw the flying car about to crash into the back of me.

also frosty nights give interesting psycadelic pictures

Bear with me, only flicked through the thread and not read every post (lazy i know). In response to some questions about fitting to a Disco 2, I haven't personally put one on a D2, but i do have one on my D1.....It's connected to the 7" screen on my headunit (really good one for the money, made by xtrons - ebay cheapy :) ) the camera is mounted in the rear bumper, just above the tow bar, and gives quite a good picture. It wasn't supplied with the head unit, but cost about £20 delivered.

This is the headunit - and yes it receives TV (via an external digital receiver)

Image493.jpg

A friend of mine has got 5 cameras on his Defender - one on each mirror, one on top of the roll hoop pointing back, and two in the front edge of the wings, pointing sideways, linked to 2 sunvisor monitors - perfect for looking out of blind T junctions. I'll try and get some pics

Hi All

Well could not let you boys have all the fun so bought one as well, same screen as Western but with a CCD camera and as a bonus I already had one of the other bullet camera's which has been sitting in my garage for years so now have a use for that as well.

Have you boys flush mounted these ?

Also on for you Western - did you butcher your old mirror to make the new mount for the screen so you could fit the plate.

Will have a go at getting it set up this weekend. Did you solve the problem with the back IR staying on ?

I will be able to flush mount the CCD as well as have no spare wheel, I had a hi lift jack mounted to the back door but that will be gone soon as just bought a new door so the back end will be flush.

Also on for you Western - did you butcher your old mirror to make the new mount for the screen so you could fit the plate.

Will have a go at getting it set up this weekend. Did you solve the problem with the back IR staying on ?

Yes to chopping up the original mirror, but I had another so I could still see what was behind during the conversion.

I've retained the factory arm & swivel ball joint, & made up a plate at work with 4 bolts/nuts to secure plate to original ball joint part, a bit of self adhesive foam on the plate to screen/mirror keeps it nice & tight & virtually shake free.

to shut the IR leds off I disconnected the camera from a permanent 12v feed [purple wire in RH rear corner] & fed it power from the reverse light wire, my blue wire is currently disconnected.at the screen/mirror head.

Well got it all fitted today, bullet camera point straight back and my other one points straight down at the tow bar. So far I am very impressed with the set up. A mod well worth doing. Thanks to all for the info.

Western if you have not gone out to make a start on your second camera this may help a bit.

There is a switched live at the back drivers side, its a green wire which feeds the rear wiper and if you want to fit a relay there is also a permanent live which is purple.

I did not fit a relay as it only draws a small amount of current.

Will take some pictures soon - just on my way out to try and fix my reversing camera feed switching.

Well here ye go.

I have not fitted my new back door yet so HiLift is still there.

Its 8am and a dull day.

The first picture is of the cameras.

WP_20130223_001_zps53d0cd2c.jpg

Next the bullet cam pointing straight back.

WP_20130223_004_zps43e43469.jpg

There is a slight glare from the mirror effect when I took the picture.

WP_20130223_005_zpsb0178116.jpg

This shows more of the jack top, but you do see the NAS bumper and when the jack is gone you should see my trailer hitch.

I now have a switchable screen, when I select reverse the one pointing down comes on.

All I had to do was switch the AV plugs - easy fix.

Did think it may be on the high side but it still has good cover of the road, I will let it stay where it is for a while but if I find it needs to be lowered a bit I will be able to angle it.

The one I have has two collars just behind the lens, the collars are cut at about 30 deg so it will tilt if need be.

It is well out of harms way up where it is so should not get damaged.

how did you join the 2nd rear view camera & the reverse cam to the screen/mirroir head, I'm just running the cables

my reverse cam is connected to the female socket [AV2] & my rear view cam now has nothing to connect into just another male plug [AV1]

I is confused ?? help :wacko: