reversing camera kit

western

Just a couple of pictures of my install, used a seperate monitor so have retained rearview mirror.

Camera position, I have it pointing almost straight down as I'm a bit strange.....

post-25689-0-92206200-1384811215_thumb.jpg

Monitor position, I have no head lining fitted so had previously made a little pod to fit an interior light in. The monitor is just stuck to it using the supplied bracket and foam tape, surprisingly it has remained firmly stuck.

post-25689-0-25349700-1384811222_thumb.jpg

The view at night, the light you see reflecting in the picture is purely from the IR LED's in the camera.

post-25689-0-12344800-1384811233_thumb.jpg

The only issue I have had is that the camera seems to steam up a little internally when used for about an hour at night, it seems to be related to when the IR LED's are on as it doesn't happen during the day. Will stick some desicant inside the camera when I get round to it.

Hi I have got my reversing camera kit all ready to fit but I can't work out how to mount the mirror it's a bit big how have you guys done it. Do I cut my old mirror up and use the ball mount glued to the new mirror. How have you trimmed your sun visors to stop them hitting the mirror.

• 4 weeks later...

I went with the same kit as Simon from Reversing Camera's UK (http://tinyurl.com/p88nq7j) and fitted it today.

The camera & monitor are both fed off the 12v from the reversing light as I thought it would be easier to run it above the headlining rather than trying to find an ignition feed from the front.

Here are some images taken of the install.

I've just been out to take a picture of the image in full darkness and my camera has run out of power so it will have to wait but the image is as clear as in the daylight but in greyscale.

• 2 weeks later...

I was a bit disappointed with the field of view from the rear view camera which came with a 2.8mm lens (I think)

post-25689-0-75225200-1388848819_thumb.jpg

So I changed the lens to a 1.8mm cctv lens which has been a big improvement in my opinion. This required a little modification to the camera however a 2.1mm lens can be fitted with no modification to the camera and still gives a significant improvement.

post-25689-0-99864500-1388848428_thumb.jpg

The replacement lens cost the less than 3 quid delivered :)

EDIT: Camera mod was just to remove 5mm off the lens holder and space the camera board so it was nearer to the glass. This is only required for the 1.8mm lens.

• 2 years later...

I know this is a fairly old thread, but I just received a twin set of ccd cameras from Buyee (Amazon). I wanted to fit one low down below spare wheel, but am unsure on where best to run cable inside the vehicle. Is there a good access that I could use ? Or would I need to make a hole ? I am concerned that without some kind of grommet (nothing in kit) I would end up with water ingress.

Similar question for mounting high up, did you fit some kind of grommet ? The cameras are very similar to those fitted by Madcowz.

Btw I have a 2013 Defender.

Cheers !

to get the cable inside run it from camera, along top of rear cross member to right rear wheel arch behind the rubber flap, you'll find the loom going up into corner of the body behind the interior rear corner panels, a grommet is already fitted

hth :i-m_so_happy:

Interesting this thread resurfaced as I had a touching moment with a plastic bollard in Tesco, no damage to me but said bollard needed pulled upright again.

Hundreds of kits on ebay!

Tried Maplins but triple the ebay ones, quadruple if I wanted front back split screen

Hi Weatern,

Quick update. All fitted. Works a treat. Ideally would prefer a wider angle camera but it will serve my purpose for now.

Your grommet tip was just what I needed.

Try changing the lens on yours for a 2.1mm cctv lens, should just screw in. They are a couple of pounds on ebay. You can go for even wider angled but I found I needed to make some modifications to use anything wider than a 2.1mm

• 2 months later...