Waterproofing Electrical Connections

Don Del

I had a problem a week or so ago when the fuel pump stopped working 50km from home. Subsequent investigation found that the cause of the failure was corrosion of the fuel pump supply pin in the connector on the top of the pump. Any suggestions as to how I can prevent this happening again? Application of vaseline or grease? If grease what type?

Cheers,

Del

I had a problem a week or so ago when the fuel pump stopped working 50km from home. Subsequent investigation found that the cause of the failure was corrosion of the fuel pump supply pin in the connector on the top of the pump. Any suggestions as to how I can prevent this happening again? Application of vaseline or grease? If grease what type?

Cheers,

Del

Use Dielectric Grease (or Vaseline, if you can't get Dielectric Grease), on the terminals, the body seal in the connector housing, and around the wire seals where the cables enter.

Does Vaseline work, I've always been hesitant in case it shorts something...!

I've used it without problems but, you got me wondering :unsure:

So I tried the probes of my continuity tester in a pot of Vaseline and I didn't get a flicker from it.

I've used it without problems but, you got me wondering :unsure:

So I tried the probes of my continuity tester in a pot of Vaseline and I didn't get a flicker from it.

Hi,

I have just been checking vaseline in Wikipedia where it is defined as being "a non-polar hydrocarbon hydrophobic (water-repelling) and insoluble in water". The other consideration (minor?) is that vaseline is the trade name for petroleun jelly which is "a mixture of hydrocarbons, having a melting-point usually within a few degrees of human body temperature, which is approximately 37 °C (99 °F).[2] It is flammable only when heated to liquid, then the fumes will light, not the liquid itself, so a wick material like leaves, bark, or small twigs is needed to light petroleum jelly".

Hope this helps.

Del

i use red rubber grease, was suggested to me by some motocross friends of mine. It's really really sticky and doesn't get thin when wet, i pack it into terminals in exposed environments like tow sockets with good results. You can get it from a good motor factor, cheaper than vaseline!

Erm, you use COPPER grease in electrical terminals? You know copper is quite a good conductor, right?

It may be insulated by the grease, but I personally think it's completely the wrong product for the job.

I used Copper Grease for 9 years on my Caterham 7, which has similar Micky Mouse electrics to a Land Rover. Good conductivity is a bonus with electrical connections and it excludes moisture - the enemy of good electrical conductivity. A win-win situation I think :)

Tony

Not really a win-win, if you are talking about a multi plug connector, you have two or more connectors all surrounded by copper-laden grease.

Dielectric or vaseline for the job.

I considered that, but when I inserted the probes of my multi-meter set to resistance into the pot of Copper Grease there was no conductivity until I touched the probes together. Perhaps a Megga would give a more meaningful insulation test, but at the time, Copper Grease was all I had available and it has worked for me.

If there is a specific product for this purpose, it might be best to buy that.

All I'm saying is that Copper Grease has worked for me, both on any electrical connection, including light bulbs and as an anti-seize on nuts and bolts. :)

If used on bolt threads that require a torque value, don't forget to reduce the torque you tighten the nut/bolt to - same goes for thread locker. I can't remember the % reduction, but it'll be on the Internet somewhere - I'll check.

Here you go:-

"You can generally use anti-seize on a bolt as you see fit by applying a simple rule of thumb: With anti-seize, the torque needed to achieve the same clamping force is 2/3 to 3/4 that of the dry bolt. A 100 ft-lb torque specification becomes 70 ft-lbs with anti-seize. I would avoid coating the head seating area of a fastener with lubricating compounds. If you really slather the whole works, you could double the design preload or more. Thread locking compounds do not have as much of a lubricating effect as anti-seize so torque settings do not change as significantly.

Source: http://users.telenet.be/miata/english/suspension/torquesettings.htm

Tony