~2 inch Propshaft spacer

jad

Just gauging peoples thoughts on this.

Currently building my project up in the members sections. I fancy fitting a borg warner Tbox from a 3.9/4.2 classic to it to improve its on road traction. This also has the benefit of moving the front output flange ~2 inches back giving me a slightly better prop angle and hence more clearance on my sump. I am going to have a solid "skinny" prop made up and am a little worried how long the borg warner will survive with ~280Hp and 260lbft going through it. I was thinking though that if I used a spacer to move the prop ~2 inches (Same distance the BW moves the Tbox flange back) back off the front diff then if I find the BW Tbox to fail quickly then I can replace it with an LT230, bin the spacer and bobs your uncle the prop I had made would still fit! And if the BW doesnt fail then the spacer would give me a bit more clearance on my sump! Can you tell i am slightly worried about clearance? :unsure:

If this is an option does anyone know if you can get longer propshaft bolts that would accommodate a 50mm spacer?......

Cheers

Jad

Bolts are

509045 - Prop. Bolt (3/8 Unf X 1.1/8)

I have used 2 x 1/2 inch spacers (one at either end) for many years with no adverse (known) problems but 2 inches is quite a lot don't know if the bolts/flange will survive due to the forces acting at an angle?.

Borg Warner will survive 280Hp / 260 lbft without problem - I have one behind a small block Chevy running 330hp / 428 lbft and it's the beefed up ZF that is the weak link. Also have one fitted behind the R380 in my 300Tdi Defender (but nowhere near the power / torque).

Why not use the front propshaft off the corresponding RR? Direct, bolt on part that made the conversion easy on the Defender.

Hi guys

Good to hear it will hold up to the power. Since that is the case I can do away with the spacer. I would have to find which standard length propshaft would fit as nothing is in a standard position. The only skinny prop that I know of though is on the cat 3.9 and this is too short so will have to have one made for the front. I will measure the rear and hopefully find a standard length prop that will fit. Makes things cheaper!

If anyone has a Tbox from a 3.9/4.2 classic that they want to get rid of or swap for an LT230 then PM me. A wanted ad is going in the wanted section....

Cheers

Jad

You can buy a 20mm spacers from several places and they will come with the longer bolts. You can stick one on either end! Not seen them any longer to be honest and I guess you would be looking for alternative props if you needed more length, or else custom....

I had mine from this Ebay seller. Perfect fit...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/20mm-Land-Rover-Discovery-Prop-Shaft-Spacer-/350586161262?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item51a090486e&_uhb=1#ht_481wt_928

Cheers. I had seen the 10/15/20mm spacers but if i was doing it then would want the difference in length that the change between borg warner and Lt230 gives on the front prop. If the borgwarner can cope with the power then Ill use that and stick with it. When I seek lots more power at some point I will jsut have to swap the LT230 and get a different prop. That would be a long way in the future though, so not going to worry about it!

Jad

It just so happens I have a Borg Warner transfer box that I took off the back of a ZF Auto out of my 4.2 LSE...

I'm also looking for a LT230 to fit into a 110.

The box is in Aberdeenshire, unfortunately at the moment I am not... but will be soon.

Any use?

It's going to have big tyres so I suspect 1.4... (Not really fussed though at the moment it's the next project after the current one which is at the "axles just on" stage.

What suffix / ratio is yours and where are you?

Donald

I have a 1.4 that I took off my defender to put a 1.2 on. It worked fine but I do not know what sufix it is. Its at my parents house so would have to ask them to check. I put a 1.2 on my project at the moment. Have never properly tested it though....

I am in warwickshire and am going to the lakes this weekend. My parents is in bedfordshire.

Jad

That sounds even better :) The 1.2 I have I have just put a new cross drilled input gear in. It may fit in the 1.4 but am not sure. Would be willing to give u that as well if you fancy a swap.

Jad

Just wanted to check if anyone knows. When putting the Borg Warner on an LT77 or R380 does it bolt straight up? I was mainly wondering about the output shaft as I know there is an adaptor/extension piece for putting the lt230 on a ZF auto. If someone who has done it could clarify what/if anything needs changing that would be great!

Cheers

Jad

James,

I've taken an LT230 off an LT77 and fitted it in place of a Borg Warner on a ZF. I had to use a longer output shaft on the ZF. I'd therefore expect that you'd need to put a shorter shaft (from a ZF) onto the LT77.

They are effectively extensions with a locating bolt in the end. To change, you just need to undo the bolt and off it comes - easy.

I got the original info and new output shaft from Ashcrofts. It's probably wise to get a new shaft as you are doing the job but I can pop my old ZF one on the pallet if you want.

Donald

The thing is though output shaft on the short R380 I have is part of the main shaft. Being a perfectly good rather expensive gearbox I dont fancy having to trim the output shaft to fit a borg warner. If someone has done an LT230 to borg warner conversion before it would be nice to hear from them what was involved.

Cheers

Jad

http://forums.lr4x4....showtopic=26341

Just found this topic. It doesnt mention anything about the gbox output shaft so hoping nothing needs to be modded...... If someone could confirm though it would be nice!

Cheers

Jad

Yes, direct fit to the R380. Borg Warner mounts had to be changed because of installing to a 300Tdi chassis.

Long bolts can be easily found from a fastener supplier. I don't know who you use in the UK, but in Australia they were stock items.

Turning up the spacer like this one:

http://forums.lr4x4....showtopic=14261

is a bit more faffing about.

Anyone with any kind of Turning and milling experience would sort that in an hour.. I wouldnt use aluminium though.