Which winch !!!!! Gigglepin vs red winch !&#33

smithy1

Hi I want too start in a winch challenges

Going buy a new winch ! But which one

Already got a goodwinch and a superwinch fitted with xp motor for the middle and back for now!

But what for the front !

Looked at the new hornet from redwinches comes with 2 bow 2s etc or

Gigglepin gp83 or gp84

Please have ur say ???

there are plenty of second hand gp about at the moment for around 2k & most people in the comp scene run 8274 gp style winches so spares are normally about at most events just in case you need some ?? ive not seen any reds in action yet so for me id be waiting a year or so just incase any issues come up.

I'd seriously consider the terms and conditions for any winch and get the level of backup you expect in writing. The early GP winches and upgraded parts were very prone to breakages and had a few design flaws. A lot of those problems and the subsequent development to fix them was funded by the customers - you break it, they bring out a new design to stop it breaking again, you pay for the new part.

Red-winch are the new boys on the block when it comes to electric winches and their winch does look really good BUT I'd only buy one on the proviso that if anything breaks in the first year (or 2) they will pay for the repair. If they've got it right (and it certainly looks like a good piece of kit) then a decent warranty (maybe even as good as Ashcroft's warranty) would go a long way towards showing they mean business.

Another electric option is the Tibus winch which (I've asked) comes with a 2 year "you break it, we fix it" warranty apart from electric components (motors, solenoids).

its not the issue that they will fix it when it breaks, if it breaks when competing and you can't fix it there & then your event is over, will they be paying for you entry fee & cost of traveling etc etc. i think not. if you want a winch that does not break go saley, as for red like i say id be waiting till any problems there might be to have been sorted before you go 2.5k in. but they do look cool and so far reports are good. only time will tell. but its a great situation to be in having such choices. if the new red winch performs well at the top level id expect a glutton of cheep gp winches on the market, keep your eyes peeled.

If you're new to the whole thing, why spend tonnes up-front on a winch? Start with something a bit less trendy, maybe 2nd hand, and see how you get on and work out what you want from there. You've already got two winches, many people would consider that sufficient for most purposes!

I've never regretted going bonkers on the front winch with the typeR Milemarker (big spend at the time).

I consider the two speed Red winch to be the typeR with a better finish and proper drum bearings, so on the face of it I would expect their electric version to be very good?

If the Hornet is two speed, then I'm sold :D

But I got involved in KAM's developent process, so I know what it's like being the new lab-rat. Don't mind it if that's part of the agreement, but don't like finding out after the check has cashed :wacko:

Red sell to the army, and that's a proper brutal testing program !

Thanks for the replys

RED winches do have a 2 years warranty unless u ram a tree or something

Im going too look into the prices for Hyd set up but heard they were pricey Twin motor gigglepins are around 2k at the mo that y I looked at new hornet at 2.5 k

Plus already got std sort of winch on my other truck that I use for laning and play days just wanted more speed for events

dont need 2 speeds with performance like this

Is it my feeling or there's no load attached to the rope?

Nice to see it stops instantly without overrun tho.

Another electric option is the Tibus winch which (I've asked) comes with a 2 year "you break it, we fix it" warranty

Yup, and as far as I can tell Daniel seems a nice guy and quite straightforward.

Terry would get bored and wander off if mine was that slow. I mean, mine free-reeves like that on tickover ;)

Seriously though, I fitted hydraulic with a direct front PTO for £1800 plus some extra bits and using some second hand bits we had. So it is comparable on price, and it looks to pull the same speed all the while, untill you reach full pressure, when it stops abruptly. But what a job to fit it! It was a serious engineering outing, with parts getting made from billet steel.

So in many ways its a choice between easy-fit with a few big wires and an extra battery clamp, or many hours fighting half inch hoses through your engine bay.

Personally, I enjoyed it, same as I liked making it dry sump ^_^

Are you a driver or a builder ?

p.s. I should add a disclaimer; It doesn't go 'that speed all the while'. That's with the motor driving the drum direct. 6:1 is a lot slower, so on light pulls you loose out to electric, but on hard pulls it does well.

And I also like my 12,000lb goldfish. That thing is just unstoppable ;)

wow thats what I call living on the edge , reeling it in at that speed , that close to the fairlead . I'm assuming the fairlead is big enough to accept the average co-drivers forearm....? :blink:

cheers

Steveb

why is it living on the edge if it stops instantly when the switch is released?

its not an 8274 ya know,

@team idris, yours may spool on like that at tickover in high but i know for a fact that a milemarker in high wont pull a jews foreskin back,

plus how many times have you had to double line your truck? dont make me get the videos in here aswell...................

:hysterical: Guilty. if it does 4.5 tonne at 6:1, then one assumes it will do nearly a tonne on direct :glare:

For reeving it's great, or if you want to travel distance with a bust diff it's also good, as you pull and pull and pull. But it is Weeeeeek.

There isn't a vid of the really embarasing double pull one :P And I claim it was hooked on something unseen that time :o

jmo Mike .. I know it stops instantly which is a massive step forward with electric winchs

It just seems really close to the fairlead and one little bit of bramble stuck to the rope would snag a glove ...

nice winch by the look of it :)

cheers

Steveb

Yeh, that's the huge amount of mud that we wern't getting through easily. I think Terry only got out because the beast cut a path and released the pressure around his waders :o

But it well describes whats wrong with these long-drums. Doubling up doesn't just give 95% more pull, but pays out more rope putting you on a lower wrap. Full-drum to nearly empty-drum must give double the pull? (I could do with a dyneema rope-snag).

And that makes me think a good rear winch would be a large diameter narrow drum, like a logging winch. Bunching would also be reduced. But it does need more gear reduction, and nobody makes one that isn't real heavy with an excavator drive in the middle. Perhaps my next project then?