Which winch !!!!! Gigglepin vs red winch !&#33

smithy1

There is little to beat a Saley winch with twin speed pump/motor arrangement, there has only ever been one failure where two Land-rovers were being pulled an impossibly steep bank and the rigging gave which caused a massive shock loading (don't forget 2Land-Rovers) and then the gear set was modified so that it will never happen again.

It stops instantly, has 2 gears, free-spool, sealed for life bearings and can take easily 250foot of 12mm rope, comes with any length of drum, is very competitively priced, and is by far the best hydraulic winch on the market, period.

Cheers, steve, yes its a Koenig in 9:1 ratio, like here:

http://www.koenigwin...in-english.html

I run it from a superwinch PTO, which has been beefed up with a bigger shaft and a double chain. I have fitted a discbrake for lowering out as well. I can also work the freespool with a lever from inside the cab. Propshaft is from a freelander.

It has epic power and will pull for days on end. I am convinced that a PTO is the only thing that works for continues use.

P8270360-1.jpg

Daan

I dont have a picture handy at the moment. I did design the disc and had it lasercut out of stainless plate. I will try to dig out a picyy later. The winch also weighs 25 kg, half that of a gigglepin. at the back, I run an EP9, which weighs the same. I dont run any extra batteries, which can add a further 50 kg, if you run 24 V. In all, the weight saving compared to most challenge trucks, the winches save a 100 kg.

Daan

There is little to beat a Saley winch with twin speed pump/motor arrangement, there has only ever been one failure where two Land-rovers were being pulled an impossibly steep bank and the rigging gave which caused a massive shock loading (don't forget 2Land-Rovers) and then the gear set was modified so that it will never happen again.

It stops instantly, has 2 gears, free-spool, sealed for life bearings and can take easily 250foot of 12mm rope, comes with any length of drum, is very competitively priced, and is by far the best hydraulic winch on the market, period.

Absolutely cannot fault the customer service either, I didn't even know about the gear failure till I was contacted and asked to send back the old gear set for an upgrade for free. Thats after the sort of failure that probable would have totally destroyed any other winch or in many cases just torn it off the front of the vehicle. Service and help absolutely great all the way.

Redwinch hydra on the right . i would only go back to electric for non competitive offroading.

I run a 2 speed Warrior red winch, you dont need the warranty as it wont break simples :-)

id also run the single terror. i was lucky to get the extended drum for the warrior but you can get it all for the terrior or the challenger,

Redwinch hydra on the right . i would only go back to electric for non competitive offroading.

I run a 2 speed Warrior red winch, you dont need the warranty as it wont break simples :-)

id also run the single terror. i was lucky to get the extended drum for the warrior but you can get it all for the terrior or the challenger,

explain then Daan

I always drive assist while winching. The winch is not quite wheelspeed, but not miles off like a conventional PTO winch (Which is 1/5 th of the speed of the koenig). If I didn't use the wheels, the plasma cables would never last as long as they do now. Also, while winching from an anchor, you are unlikely to have enough of holding force to pull the car out by the winch alone. I use the early x-eng anchor with great succes.

Daan

i saw a system where you disengage drive to engage the pto........

The PTO systems I have seen engage the PTO by pulling a knob next to the handbrake lever, you are supposed to put the transfer box in neutral but that is only to stop the wheels turning, it has no effect on the PTO, so you can of course leave it in low and have drive assist (but with very mismatched wheel/winch speeds).

I always drive assist while winching. The winch is not quite wheelspeed, but not miles off like a conventional PTO winch (Which is 1/5 th of the speed of the koenig). If I didn't use the wheels, the plasma cables would never last as long as they do now. Also, while winching from an anchor, you are unlikely to have enough of holding force to pull the car out by the winch alone. I use the early x-eng anchor with great succes.

Daan

Must agree with Daan, though I use steelwire.

Have been using PTO Koenig winches since 1992, and now have a 9:1 like Daans. Diff is 4,75:1

Here is a video of my 19 year old daughter winching up in 1.gear. Have tried 2. gear and that is fast, but will need more anchor.

We allways driveassist for the same reasons as Daan, that you don't put too much stress at the winchcable and the winch itself.

https://plus.google.com/photos/111388938395217619086/albums/5645611160277007537/5645678293738944210?banner=pwa&gpsrc=pwrd1#photos/111388938395217619086/albums/5645611160277007537/5645678293738944210?banner=pwa&gpsrc=pwrd1

Hope this works

Lars