Headlamp issue

4x4landy

Ok I thought I blew a bulb on my passenger side but its a weird one . Fuse is good . Bulb is good . Getting 11.8v without the bulb in when I put the bulb in I get 0v reading ??? Am I missing something title obvious here tried it earthed direct to chassis / battery etc . Kinda lost here

I earth it direct to the battery with the terminal on the bulb and earth it to the battery and get no light :( was working earlier when I drove it to work . But I went to tow a transit it and the passenger headlamp decided not to work :( been working fine last 4 months etx never had a issue

There is a connector on the bulk head for the lights as well as other things. I have a 200Tdi and there are 3 (I think) of these connectors. I had an issue with my lights and I traced it back to these being corroded. Sprayed a load of WD40 in there, unplugged and plugged back in a few times and all was OK.

Might be worth a look at these before you start adding and removing wires at the bulb end...

If you get 10.5v bulbholder --> battery, what do you get across the battery terminals?

It sounds much like Tetsu0san says, that contacts in a connector are corroded giving high resistance connections.

Just a thought - visually inspect the wiring around the bulb holder. The previous owner of my disco had installed high-wattage bulbs and with the poor contacts (which get reeeely hot) melted the wiring and plastic bits in the loom.