Sealing between the windscreen frame and the roof?

As has been said above *not* silicone if you ever intend painting it with other than dulux emulsion with a roller.

However to try to point you in tyhe right direction, seam sealer that we use on vehicles is *not* silicone so its ok to paint on (or even near, which is why we dont use silicone)

If it were mine, I'd fit a new foam seal and use seam sealer on one side only - the side with the sticky tape doesnt need it.

Stick the seal in place then put a thin, and I mean really thin layer of seam seal on the other face of the seal. Then I'd use a bit more where the roof curls down toward the screen at the sides 'cos thats where it leaks into the roof seam and then the door seal which lets water into the bulkhead and causes you to replace the bulkhead every ten years. OK thats a bit of poetic licence really :-)

HTH

Hmmm, does anyone happen to have a picture of what is supposed to be there? It's there supposed to be some kind of chemical sealant there? I don't mind doing it eventually; the silicon was more of a temporary fix until i can get some where dry to do it properly... :)

I used Sikaflex, start with a google on that, there are several different types so have a read on which is most appropriate.

I used the white to match the roof and didnt have to paint it; DON'T use silicone even as a temporary fix, you will regret it as it doesnt stick well to some surfaces and then you wont be able to remove the silica if you need to repaint at any time.

The other option would be a frame sealant, but some of these stay soft and dont cure. And might not accept automotive paint. Hope this helps.

Hi Mike,

I too had to cut through some white sealant like you have on yours, so I'm intreged to find out what its looks like when it left the factory.

The white stuff was a hard compound and not rubbery so I too would be interested to find out what it is!

Steve

I think it's the white sealant mentioned in the "land rover defender water ingress" manual that's floating around. I'm really not sure what it is, mine was a little rubbery, but where it had broken had hardened...

I'm going to try the Sikaflex, I have to stop the drips and puddles.

Okay, so I spent an hour going around gooing the roof and above the windscreen... The stuff I pulled out from under the roof want what was supposed to be there.

The sikaflex was messy, but does come off when drying. I had to flatten it with a damp bit if kitchen towel. It's just like bathroom sealant like that.

I'll add "fix the roof" to next summers to do list. I also need to replace all the window seals too...

Cheers,

Mike

we took my 90 apart good and proper to cure leaks. roof, rear sides off etc and all new seals, body cappings on way in. every new peice was properly painted inside and out first and ooodles and ooodles of tiger seal every mating face. will dig out some pics later on. worked though.

we took my 90 apart good and proper to cure leaks. roof, rear sides off etc and all new seals, body cappings on way in. every new peice was properly painted inside and out first and ooodles and ooodles of tiger seal every mating face. will dig out some pics later on. worked though.

This sounds like a summer holiday job... My defender is my daily drive.

I'll see how well the sealant works this evening on the drive home, it's raining at the moment in Brighton.

Luckily I have a source of large desiccant packs to try to dry her out!

I did the gutters on the 88's roof with sikaflex before repainting, it cured all her leaks.

I have virtually covered every join on the roof in this stuff; and it worked! Dry as a bone!

I just need to get the windows open to let the head lining dry out... Hopefully a sunny day tomorrow.

• 5 years later...

there are 2 seals at the roof to screen joint

1 is a rubber tubular type that fits in the roof channel

1 is a waterproof neoprene foam self adhesive that is applied to screen frame, any remaining gap is filled with a flexible automotive seam sealer, something like tiger seal or sikaflex.

• 1 month later...

Hey guys!

As I am rebuilding Wheely following a complete respray I put the seals between roof and bulk head/windscreen frame (as per pic) BUT:

• when I tight the roof completely with the nuts and bolts there is still a big gap between windscreen frame and roof (see pic)
  • the seal between bulkhead and windscreen frame is rather loose

What could be the reason for that? 

This is the last hurdle before the Landy is completely rebuild and can finally take it for a ride :):):)

thanks for your support!

seal.JPG

35e8439e-ca2d-43f3-9af6-b39def639632.jpg

c9447e12-bb41-4688-90e4-76d390c70210.jpg

The roof should be well aligned as I have already fixed the back of it and it all went smoothly, so I was thinking either:

1-it is the new seal which is very thick 
2-I should loose all the bolts between roof and body and fit all of them more gradually
3-something happened in the 2 weeks that the roof was detached from the body - can it have bent as it was being supported by two wheels at the front/rear ends of the roof which is 5 meters long (Wheely it's 3 axle) so the middle section which wasn't supported messed up the shape of it? I'd think unlikely but could be an alternative
4- ???

I would have thought that when the roof to the windscreen frame was tighten up also the seal between windscreen frame to bulkhead would have tighten up from being so loose now...

grateful for your thoughts
Edited by Wheely

Guys - this morning I took off the bolts and nuts from roof and hinges and tried again fitting it - but this time i fitted first the roof and later the hinge - so now the roof is way closer but the space between the bulkhead and windscreen frame is even greater :(

Do you guys normally fit first the hinge between bulkhead and windscreen frame or first the roof to the windscreen frame? There must be something I am doing wrong...