ghettofabulous intercooler installation

callum

Pulling up an old thread here, but I think I'm fitting exactly the same intercooler to my Tdi at the moment. It's 'kin huge, so needs to chop into the inner wings and avoid the headlight bowls.

The issue I've found is that there's a folded ally bracket inside the wing. Could/should I just chop out the space that I need - and if so, how?

I've used a hole-saw to create a radiused curve, I'll do the same at the bottom and then make two straight cuts between them to form a slot - but the strengthening bracket will still be in the way. Thoughts?

post-277-0-43846400-1392119880_thumb.jpg

post-277-0-94083500-1392119886_thumb.jpg

My radiused curves didn't work as well as I'd hoped, but my metallic thuggery has delivered an intercooler-sized gap in roughly the right place - see pics from outside, and from inside the wing looking towards the headlight aperture.

post-277-0-16460900-1392391692_thumb.jpg

post-277-0-21079900-1392391699_thumb.jpg

However, cutting the hole has blunted my holesaw (which may or may not have been suitable for the task) so I now have to repeat the job on the other side, ideally without removing the wing and cooling pack. It's not pretty but I'm thinking of my angle grinder...

post-277-0-23687200-1392391802_thumb.jpg

Do you have access to compressed air?

An air saw would be the ideal tool, ditch the crappy blades which they are supposed to use and fit half a hacksaw blade.

That said, if you're having to buy a tool, you may as well just buy a decent hole saw the right size