Oil cooler (laminova)

alanius

Hi,

We're upgrading our Light weight to a 4.0V8. Now we need to put an oil cooler on the engine + we have an oil cooler for the auto gearbox.

A lot of radiators and not much space.

What kind of oil coolers can I use for the engine oil and for the auto gearbox (3speed torqueflight)? And are easy to clean, without destroying the net.

I found allready a 'laminova' oil cooler. But how does it works, can I put it straight on the water circuit or.... ?

If I use a Laminova oil cooler (oil to water), what dimensions can you recommend?

I want to place the oil coolers behind the radiator, as I don't have any other space. And there are electric fans on the radiator so when there on the air flow cools the oil radiators.

Thanks for your help!

Regards

alain

Hi,

We're upgrading our Light weight to a 4.0V8. Now we need to put an oil cooler on the engine + we have an oil cooler for the auto gearbox.

A lot of radiators and not much space.

What kind of oil coolers can I use for the engine oil and for the auto gearbox (3speed torqueflight)? And are easy to clean, without destroying the net.

I found allready a 'laminova' oil cooler. But how does it works, can I put it straight on the water circuit or.... ?

If I use a Laminova oil cooler (oil to water), what dimensions can you recommend?

I want to place the oil coolers behind the radiator, as I don't have any other space. And there are electric fans on the radiator so when there on the air flow cools the oil radiators.

Thanks for your help!

Regards

alain

An oil-to-water cooler needs to be in the bottom hose. It can be better than air cooled, as the oil warms up faster at start up. No idea how big?

If you go this route the water rad will have to be big enough to cool the water jacket, the oil cooler heat load and the heat load from the gearbox.

I design heat exchangers for job and even I can't tell you how big, as it all depends on the duty cycle (Town driving or big hills with a trailer). If you know the kW required, and the flows, then sizing is easier. Otherwise its guess time ;)

If you go air cooled then they may be better in front of the rad to get ambient temperature air. But there again, the hot air coming off them reduces engine rad performance. If its a lightweight with those open wings you may well be better trying them in the inner wing with their own fans on a thermostat switch?

Hi,

That was what I mean, put the coolers between the radiator and oil pump. So the coolers have the coldest water.

The radiator is big enough, will post a pic later, and it works with 2 fans that are controlled by 2 thermostat switches. The temp is completly under control, we had only 1 time some problems, but it was 35°C outside and the engine + radiator was full of mud.

The problem is we don't have enough space to put a good size oil radiator (air cooled) as the engine bay is small.

this is my light weight, as I don't understand what you mean with try to fit them in the inner wing.

P9240012.jpg

Literally between wheel and engine in the inner wing. Fine for town and a bit of country. Except I wouldn't if you're doing that sort of fun offroading ;)

Water/oil it is then :) But have a look at Bowman shell & tube coolers as well. There is also brazed-plate heat exchangers, common on trucks. (A bit like TD5, but it is in the block)