1.9Tdi Defender?

Turbocharger

Hey,

i think alot is the condition of the engine and components. I had a brand new (not recon) 200tdi in my 90. With some pump and turbo tuning, a disco transfer box and thats it I still managed to get a 43mpg on a long run, and 34 to 36mpg usually. A proper full overhaul would see a significant improvement. The auto should only really reduce it by 3-5mpg so you should still be over 30mpg.

I also ran bfg muds at the time too.

Hugh

The bigger-power small capacity engines are all slathered in electronics - not a concern per-se, but certainly not an easy conversion like a mechanical pump would be.

Driving style: most of the 26mpg stuff round the Pyrenees was at 50-60mph. On constant speed runs of 150miles before I went, it gave 32mpg at 55mph and 22mpg at 75mph. I don't think it's too bad at the moment, but as Soren says, you always want better.

Gearing: it's a ZF 4spd gearbox, torque converter locks up at 50mph and it's pushing a 1.2 ratio box, which suits the VGT quite well.

Biofuels: no thanks, I've played with these professionally and SVO, homebrew biodiesel etc isn't good. I know there are people who swear by it, but I've written and presented papers which say there's no commercial case for it after damage to the fuel system is included. Given the choice I wouldn't burn any biodiesel at all, even the 7% that we have to have in pump fuel today.

Cummins B-series injector after 4 months on WVO-derived B100 (click to enlarge):

post-277-0-35633000-1349709440_thumb.jpg

I'll do a health-check on the Tdi and make sure it's behaving as it should do - though I'd advise anyone getting 40+mpg from a Tdi to look at their odometer calibration first!

I've done some serious mile munching this year into Europe, and I can say that at 60mph you get half decent book economy out of a Defender. I ran injector cleaner througohut it before going, and removed the inlet restrictor (300tdi).

Personally I think there's a case for improving the aero dynamics, the Tdi isn't a bad lump it's just pushing a vehicle made out of pig iron shaped like a brick. Perhaps providing a bit more of an angle to the front wngs and trying to roll the front edge of the bonnet in front of the rad may help.

I'm not sure there is an engine that can do the job better and still be as "fixable". Seems bigger engines provide the performance at the cost of fuel, and smaller units have to rev harder, but might be better on juice. I knew a chap who ran a Tdi in a slightly more aerodynamic Rover car and he got decent economy - on par with most modern vehicles for the weight of the beast.

What have you done to your pump? I remember on the way to russia, I used 14 litre over a stretch were an older, quite smoky 200 used about 18 litre. It was clearly turned up and any smoke you see is just litteraly burning money.

Daan

Don't know if these bits of information will help - from the Discoweb website, somebody with the same idea but going into a Classic RR.

The little VDub just makes sense. Small, light, simple to work on, easy to get parts anywhere in the world (I may take this truck overseas in a couple years if I still have it) and reliable with modest maint. The way I have it set up it's about 200hp and over 300tq with a pretty flat power band and a redline of 5000 rpm. Seems like an ideal power plant. Granted it will be working harder at highway speeds so the MPG may not be as stellar as a Jetta.... but it should be great compared to a V8. Plus you DO NOT do a swap like this for $$ savings.

I am adapting the VW to the ZF auto. And trust me I will be marketing the adapter

2002 1.9 "ALH" tdi with hybrid VNT 17/22 turbo, transporter nozzles, updated pump, custom intake manifold and very tweaked ECU software from Malone Tuning in Canadialand.

High volume oil pump, bigger custom oil pan with bypass filter set up, and water to air aftercooler. (No room for decent air to air cooler)

Peter.

I'll do a health-check on the Tdi and make sure it's behaving as it should do - though I'd advise anyone getting 40+mpg from a Tdi to look at their odometer calibration first!

That was from the GPS and also checked using a online routefinder. I too didnt believe it at first!

H

The older 1.9 and 2.5 VW engine are nice as has plenty of legs and low down torque 130-150bhp.

The newer 2.0tdi pdi is rubbish by comparison, no torque low down and a short power range towards 2000rpm which is gone by 3000, along with the built in faults (porous heads, injectors, balancer shafts etc.

The newer cr tdi are a bit new to tell yet?

The Ford/Jag offerings are worth a look as well, 2.2tdci in transit, mondeo and puma defender. 2.4 duratorq in older transit.

2.7 tdv6 in jag and disco/range rover sport

I would steer clear of anything french and italian from my previous experiences of grand cars. (every job costs a thousand pounds) and the wiring is magic(smoke can be seen regularly)

What's the cost of fuel in the UK and Europe now ?

FWIW I did a 1600km run last week and returned just under 10l/100km on one tank and averaged 10.3 for the entire trip and I was fair up the Deefer, sitting on 110-115km/h indicated most of the way.

300Tdi, just about to turn over 300,00km, original injectors, 255/85's (so the odo is pretty close to right, as is the speedo) on a 130 with bullbar, winch, roof racks, spotties and muddies.

Oh, it's had the fuel turned right up on the pump too, I have to lift on long climbs as the EGT's can easily climb past 720*C.

No complaints on fuel consumption here, but we're only paying around 145c-154c/litre (63.7p=A$1.00 so 154c/l=98p/litre)