Wobbly Wheel!

Dear Doctor,

My Land Rover has developed a most starting problem!

2 days ago I hear this noise which sounded like I was dragging an exhasut along the ground, upon inspection everything looked OK.

On the motor way journey I noted a noise, 'tinkling' sort at first then turning to louder crunch and banging which then caused the vehicle to slow and pull to left. I initially thought it was some kind of thing with the prop loosing balance or something! Set off again no problem but it happend again a few times but recified with slowing down.

I removed the NSR brake drum (it felt like it was coming from there), apart one siezed piston and worn shoes, it looked ok. I put it down to something in the brake drum.

Took it to work this morning, 20 miles into the motor way, it started vibrating again, this time with grindy noises. (Almost like there was a stone in the drum). Quick inspection of the front wheel (with wheels on 3/4 right hand lock), it was loose. I suspected the wheel bearing, as you would.

BUT.... this afternoon, driving carefully to my next place of work an independent witness told me that the front NS wheel was wobbling. Interesting as I was unawre of any wheel judder, but the (stone in the wheel drum) noise was still apparent.

Now when checking the play on the wheel, with it straight there is NO play!

Could this be the swivel?? (there does seem to be some oil on the chome ball) but I'm in my nice white work clothes and best not get oily!

I am still at work, so I'm planning my evening of repairs now! If it is the swivel, can I tighten it? What should I look for?

Please write me a prescription to mend my Land Rover.

Thank you Doctor(s)

Dear Doctor,

My Land Rover has developed a most starting problem!

2 days ago I hear this noise which sounded like I was dragging an exhasut along the ground, upon inspection everything looked OK.

On the motor way journey I noted a noise, 'tinkling' sort at first then turning to louder crunch and banging which then caused the vehicle to slow and pull to left. I initially thought it was some kind of thing with the prop loosing balance or something! Set off again no problem but it happend again a few times but recified with slowing down.

I removed the NSR brake drum (it felt like it was coming from there), apart one siezed piston and worn shoes, it looked ok. I put it down to something in the brake drum.

Took it to work this morning, 20 miles into the motor way, it started vibrating again, this time with grindy noises. (Almost like there was a stone in the drum). Quick inspection of the front wheel (with wheels on 3/4 right hand lock), it was loose. I suspected the wheel bearing, as you would.

BUT.... this afternoon, driving carefully to my next place of work an independent witness told me that the front NS wheel was wobbling. Interesting as I was unawre of any wheel judder, but the (stone in the wheel drum) noise was still apparent.

Now when checking the play on the wheel, with it straight there is NO play!

Could this be the swivel?? (there does seem to be some oil on the chome ball) but I'm in my nice white work clothes and best not get oily!

I am still at work, so I'm planning my evening of repairs now! If it is the swivel, can I tighten it? What should I look for?

Please write me a prescription to mend my Land Rover.

Thank you Doctor(s)

Sounds to me like you have a serious case of "knackered wheel bearing/s".

This will require minor surgery to correct - you may be looking at a replacement stub axle by now as the bearings will be well shot if the wheel is wobbling.

Don't drive the vehicle until you've sorted it as potentially you could lose the wheel.

Take 2 aspirin and call me in the morning... ;)

Matt

Sounds to me like you have a serious case of "knackered wheel bearing/s".

This will require minor surgery to correct - you may be looking at a replacement stub axle by now as the bearings will be well shot if the wheel is wobbling.

Don't drive the vehicle until you've sorted it as potentially you could lose the wheel.

Take 2 aspirin and call me in the morning... ;)

Matt

Thanks Matt and I do feel better just because I phoned my so called friend who indicated the wheel was wobbling, and it turns out it was one of his little jokes!! :angry: They dont realise this land rover thing is serious stuff!!!

All the way home it made grindy noises, worse above 50mph.

Further inspection this evening reveals notable play in the front UJ! Of course, it fits together now!

The 'play'when the wheel was turned is most likely too much play in the steering, but why it pulled to the left I dont know.

I'm going to have that aspirin though! :lol: (with a beer)

Thanks Matt and I do feel better just because I phoned my so called friend who indicated the wheel was wobbling, and it turns out it was one of his little jokes!! :angry: They dont realise this land rover thing is serious stuff!!!

All the way home it made grindy noises, worse above 50mph.

Further inspection this evening reveals notable play in the front UJ! Of course, it fits together now!

The 'play'when the wheel was turned is most likely too much play in the steering, but why it pulled to the left I dont know.

I'm going to have that aspirin though! :lol: (with a beer)

At least you know what it is now then! :D

Cheers,

Matt

Dear Doctor,

... On the motor way journey I noted a noise, 'tinkling' sort at first then turning to louder crunch and banging which then caused the vehicle to slow and pull to left. Thank you Doctor(s)

I'd still check your bearings.

I once had an all mighty crunching sound. jacked it up, checked wheel, no play, and once back running no crunch!

On the way home that evening the wheel siezed up - 3 lanes later... better to be safe than sorry.

;)