New shape Range Rover

landmannnn

I was thinking about buying a secondhand Range Rover, 52, 03, 53 plate.

Has anyone got any experiences of these good or bad?

I know the diesel is a bit gutless and the V8 very thirsty. I guess an ecu upgrade / lpg conversion would help sort either.

Hi, can't help you with personel experience of the newer RR, but bought a 96 4.6 six months ago, I know all the problems of that engine so I won't go into that, mine had a new engine, but I will say I bought it from a company that install LPG systems, Websters Marine & Autogas, bought from one of the directors, had to be a Landy fan, 110 sitting in the drive, really nice guy and most important of a really excellent LPG system, its a multipoint injection system and I have to say that they really seem to know their business, performance excellence, switchs to LPG quickly and faultlessly.

So basically if you decide to go the V8 route I would recommend the above company with absolutely no hesitation,

Contact number 01922 638666, Contact name D. Webster.

Absolutely no personel or financial involment with the above company at all, just a really satisfied customer.

Hope this helps,

By all accounts they remap the ecu at the time of installation.

Cheers Bill

I was thinking about buying a secondhand Range Rover, 52, 03, 53 plate.

Has anyone got any experiences of these good or bad?

I know the diesel is a bit gutless and the V8 very thirsty. I guess an ecu upgrade / lpg conversion would help sort either.

Not personal experience but SteveG on here had one, a diesel. He sold it as soon as the warrenty expired... unless and until he pipes up I would let that guide me. ;)

Chris

Took one in swap this time last year, 03 TD6 Vogue, was ok, but not very impressed, ran it myself for a few weeks, including a trip to Sodbury, as it was near to coming out of warranty, decided to trade it out !!

So, would say,if you want one bad !! bit the bullet, buy from your local stealer, with a cast iron LR warranty, and plan on moving on when its up,

If you can find one with the VIP service pack as well, ,, I would then be tempted again !!

Sorry not a lot of help really !!

Took one in swap this time last year, 03 TD6 Vogue, was ok, but not very impressed, ran it myself for a few weeks, including a trip to Sodbury, as it was near to coming out of warranty, decided to trade it out !!

So, would say,if you want one bad !! bit the bullet, buy from your local stealer, with a cast iron LR warranty, and plan on moving on when its up,

If you can find one with the VIP service pack as well, ,, I would then be tempted again !!

Sorry not a lot of help really !!

My neighbour ( OilIt ) had one and will likely be along soon to add his personal comments, but suffice it to say that after 2 front diffs in 6mths plus visible corrosion setting in he got rid of it before it ran out of warranty. Personally i would love one, but only if i had enough spare cash to easilly afford the high running costs.

Nigel

well i have good mate who is on his second one. and he is very pleased with them. And he is the ruffest on cars, screams the tits of them and does not service tham. His new one has just been to overfinch to have it chipped

And his wife is on her second Disco 3, but thats another matter :rolleyes:

My mate at work and a good friend outside of work has just bought a 02 vouge....

I was given it to drive the other week to take to the lro show..

(I drive every day a Td5 ES disco)

I was impressed with the performance but remember I am used to a td5 and it was much smother.

handling was ok

toys inside were grate

Looks nice nother rusting or falling off.

I was not impressed with the boot trim which was looking very taty for a 70k car....

We both have up to 2hr drive each way every day to work and I know I would rather be in the RR...

MPG when I got in the trip meter was on 22.9mpg after I reset it and me driving normaly a 400 mile round trip and weekend driving around hampshire. It was doing 25.9 which I was a little disapointed but I do 35-40k a year so its a big thing to me.

he has had it for two months now and the air suspention has already had a funny five minits but once reset has been good as gold. The fault did do anything just a light on the dash.

I will be looking for one myself as my every day car but I may well end up with a Lease one to not feel so bad about the value loss and hating service costs....

If I get a older one my mate has a garage and has the software to fix it if needed if I didn't have that I would think harder about it.....

My first car was a RR 14yrs so love them even if they do leak,slow,thirsty,unreliable.etc.etc. :D

My first car was a RR 14yrs so love them even if they do leak,slow,thirsty,unreliable.etc.etc. :D

Yeah but you did learn to drive in it and was the first car you drove on the road :lol:

And was a 1978 3.5 EFi.

Git i had a series 3 as my first car you had a range rover :rolleyes:

I was a working as labour on a construction site in my school holidays and paid every penny of that truck my self....

Yes I couldn't drive it far I will give you that..

And yes Mum went nutts whan she found out it was V8 efi but you helped con her into letting me buy it...

Yes I couldn't drive it far I will give you that..

Yeah tell me about it. You used to borrow my TDi rangie :lol:

And yes Mum went nutts whan she found out it was V8 efi but you helped con her into letting me buy it.

Hey what are older brothers for.

My dad drove a V8 Vogue for 3 years and it was a great machine. It gave 15 - 19 mpg depending on how, and where it was driven (average was about 17.8), had good handling, was exeptionally comfortable, was screwed together well and the only problem with it was that the air suspension needed resetting when it was about 6 months old. Appart from that it was superb.

We've both driven the TD6 model and agreed it was far less refined and pretty gutless. I've also heard a lot more complaints about reliability from TD6 owners....

i bought a second hand 02 Vogue 4.4 V8 in June. the only problem i've had with it was the battery needed replacing. otherwise great car, very comfortable to drive in. pretty mutch a bmw though (key, switches electrics, navigation system. big car though, the bonnte is even higher than on my 88 classic and that is not exactly low with a 2" lift, 1,5" bodylift and 35" tires :-).

it tows the classic very well, looks great the silver vogue with the orange one behind!

regards

orange

Had 2002 RR TD6 Vogue for 3 years and 75,000 miles. Had nothing but issues with it and as Chris says it went when warranty went. This is after having two P38's from new so not new to RR's or LR reputation. Actually both of the P38's were great quality wise and the second one also spent a lot of time off-road too.

New shape RR's are hit and miss with the V8's fairing better. Both had electrical issues with draining batteries, comms issues, airbag and also air suspension issues. They also suffer from leaks in rear wheel well, that if bad enough wipe out the comms & nav system that sits there. Not sure on jag based ones that came in on MY 04.

TD6's have had injector issues and front driveline issues, namely front diffs going and propshafts going.

TD6 does ~25mpg, is sluggish and noisy, but apart from that great! ;)

RR is super comfortable, good on road and off-road, although too bladdy big off-road, so forget laning in wales! :rolleyes:

So it gets my vote :P

Steve :)