Noisy fuel pump... TD5 Defender

As some of you will have noticed I cut down to one V8 recently and turned to the dark side and bought a shiny TD5 90...

Today I noticed how noisy my fuel pump was compared to a friends...

And.... I believe it go noisier today for no apparent reason....

Truck starts first time every time and runs well. Haven't noticed any leaks etc.

Should I be concerned or are there noisy versions and not so noisy versions?

Thanks in advance

Neil

Yes, the noisy ones are usually about to die... though some can go on like that for months or years. If they are perfect, there should be a little "meowwwww" on startup and they should be just about audible with the window down and the engine idling, and clearly audible as a quiet hum if you stick your head under the tank. They are never as quiet as a V8 pump.

I have compared it to a cat being fed through a mangle tail first - it starts off fairly quiet and becomes considerably noisier as it gets towards the point of fatality :)

With the lack of access in a Defender it's a tank-out job (or cut a hole in the floor, which is equally common) so leave it till it dies or change it, your choice, but I wouldn't head off into the desert with one that was really noisy.

Cheers Steve....

Definitely not a meowwing cat... More like a cat racing at 70 MPH...

I'll get a new pump ordered up.. Suppose it's worth changing fuel filter while I've got it apart !!

(Then the dreaded purge cycle.... Where is Si White when you need an expert...)

Neil

Yes I'd change the filter as well. Purge is easy, ignition on, pump the pedal to the floor and back five times and on all except the very early ones it will start an auto on-off cycle of the pump (30 sec on 5 sec off ... ish) and when that completes, full throttle and crank till it starts.

I would try changing just the filter first. I know of a couple of Defenders that had the same issue and both had replacement pumps fitted that didn't fix it.

New filters and original pumps refitted fixed the issue, and at least one of them is still on the original pump at least three years later, so definitely nothing wrong with it!

Dave

Could just be a cheap Britpart one. When I bought mine it had "apparently" just had a new Britpart pump. It was noisy as anything but worked fine. Also the fuel guage was very poor and it dropped by 3/4 after 120 miles. A bit scary! Drove it for a year before becoming so fed up I replaced it with a VDO unit.Now quiet and sensible fuel gauge. Much more pleasant.

Hopefully attached is a picture of where you need to cut the hole in your floor if you do need to change the pump, had my floor out recently to fit a new crosmember and thought I would take the opportunity to measure for said hole in case I ever have to change my pump.

post-11074-0-53565000-1350319063_thumb.jpg

Hopefully you don't need it but if you do then I hope it helps

Cheers

Simon

Well...

Advice taken Dave and fuel filter changed....

Found this lurking under the cover....

post-1475-0-55751700-1350320172_thumb.jpg

Followed purge instructions (Thanks Steve) and I now have a relatively quiet fuel pump !!

Another thing off my mind...

Neil