Volvo c303 on Defender

schneide

Hello Lr4x4

I bought a set of Volvo C303 portal axles to my defender.

I've seen some driving around with these portals, but I can not find any pictures of the building.

Does anyone have photos of their project? pictures of fittings and mountings?

The idea is to be made ​​a disc brake kit, and my 15'' land rover wheels must be fitted.

Rasmus Schneidereit

With Viking winch and soon Volvo C303 portals.

• Like 1

You mean like this?

2007-02-18-14h47m59_sm.jpg

I have the Portal-tek (now out of business) conversion, I don't think you can easily fit 15" wheels and even 16" can be a bit of a squeeze unless you do nasty things with spacers.

front_portal_brakes.jpg

Unfortunately I'm driving a Series so my spring mounts look like this:

volvo_ubolts.jpg

Which doesn't really help. There are quite a few conversions out there, some are really bad though. I don't have any pictures to hand but might have a dig on my home PC if I remember.

If you need any spares drop me a PM, I have all the seals/bearings etc.

I've been in contact with a chap called David in Hampshire, who has a very interesting conversion kit.

It uses LR calipers, modified LR discs and takes LR wheels.

Which i will be buying as soon as funds become available.

PM me for his contact details.

tonight was me and two friends on Funen and get my C303 axles home.

they look super good, and very compact. it must definitely going to be really good and get started.

I would first find out what condition they are in. get seen on the bearings and seals.

then will I make brackets to link the system. and when all this is over I'm going to and make a disc brake kit ...

Here is the first real photo of the portals, they are just loaded on my companion's multifueler :)

@ schneide - there was no picture posted...

@ fridge

I've just developed oil seepage from one of my lower kingpins. I've never had the portals apart yet, and have a set of your bearing conversions to fit.

1. Does HOFS have any fitting instructions?

2. which seal is needed to fix my leak? and can you supply?

also could be interested in the Stefa hub seal conversion x4 if you still have them.

p.s. any news on the upper kingpin kit, did that ever get off the drawing board?

@Hoss - the lower kingpins don't have any oil in them, is it coming from higher up (CV boot) or something like that?

Still got STEFA conversions, no problem there, just PM me.

Upper kingpins still on the drawing board, not forgotten, just that they last that much longer than the bottom ones.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for the link Calle, although the site looks like its had all of 30 mins in its making, and no pics of the conversion.

Nissan 6 bolt hmmm

I still think the best i've seen is the one i mentioned from the UK. Uses LR discs and calipers, gives you LR 5 bolt wheels. Cheapest conversion of all i've found, and cheap & easy to find parts.

Thanks for the link Calle, although the site looks like its had all of 30 mins in its making, and no pics of the conversion.

Nissan 6 bolt hmmm

I still think the best i've seen is the one i mentioned from the UK. Uses LR discs and calipers, gives you LR 5 bolt wheels. Cheapest conversion of all i've found, and cheap & easy to find parts.

I agree with all above. I didn't find it particulary cheap either. Just wanted to highlight all options.

If you ask me I don't think they actually do the conversion themselves. It is a brand new site and my guess is they probably sell some other companys solution.

I'm not in any way involved with the site, just found it on a Swedish forum the other day.

• 1 month later...

As requested, some updates.

Disc conversion done, Volvo hub lathed down and new hub made that sandwiches a defender disc, using the PCD of the disc, but with double the amount of holes (as this now holds the wheels on essentially)

Anywho, a couple of pics:

[img=http://forums.lr4x4.com/public/style_images/master/attachicon.gif] WP_000650.jpg

[img=http://forums.lr4x4.com/public/style_images/master/attachicon.gif] WP_000688.jpg

Nice it is good to know a good machinist .

Now lets see the rest of the built (i am using D2 radius arms on my Disco1 but i am early in mu build)

The only thing I need to do with this project is to install new caster correct busches for the radius arms, and make new steel rims because it is 2100 mm width now with my time fitted 39,5-14,5-16 irok tires :) And maybe find a electric vaccum pump for the lockers ? Any idea there I can find a electric caccum pump on the internet ?

Regards Rasmus

• 2 weeks later...