ZF4HP22 not shifting up out of first gear

dantastic

Hi,

I have a ZF4HP22 out of a RRC.

I was out playing and from having ben working perfectly fine the gearbox is no longer shifting up out of first gear.

Park, Reverse, neutral all work as they should. In all of the forward gears I'm only in first gear ever. I have tried giving it quite a lot of boot but it will not shift up.

First stop was to check oil level, seemed alright but I dropped and replaced the oil. It was in good shape already though.

Suggested on another forum was to bring up to speed and engage reverse a few times. Tried but has done nothing.

Since this happened the car has not once shifted up above 1st gear.

The box have been well serviced to date and the slamming into reverse didn't do anything so I'm somewhat thinking that it's not the governor sticking as I probably would have managed to get it to shift up at least once or so.

So what can I try next? This is one of the real old ZF4s so I don't think there are any electrics there to go wrong.

sounds like your kick down cable has stuck,

this happened to me after i booted it and the cable got stuck so i disconected the cable from the engine bay end and pushed the inner cable back down inside the outer cable,

then i left it disconnected and manually changed down if i needed to,

its a pain to change the cable which is why i left mine off

sounds like your kick down cable has stuck,

this happened to me after i booted it and the cable got stuck so i disconected the cable from the engine bay end and pushed the inner cable back down inside the outer cable,

then i left it disconnected and manually changed down if i needed to,

its a pain to change the cable which is why i left mine off

Sound!

That one sounds plausible. I think I read somewhere that you must not run with the kick down cable disconnected though. I gather from what you're saying that's not a problem.

I hope to be able to try sometime this weekend and I will report back.

In the meantime keep the suggestions coming though! :)

Almost cetain your gov valve is stuck, changing the oil only makes matters worse as fresh oil with new detergent flushes the dirt from the sides of the box. Whatever you do do not dis-connect the kick down cable, not only does this control kickdown but it also sets the clutch pack pressure, releasing it sets the pressure to min and will lead to early failure. It is possible to remove and clean the gov with the auto box in situ but the t box will have to come off. Regards Ian Ashcroft

Almost cetain your gov valve is stuck, changing the oil only makes matters worse as fresh oil with new detergent flushes the dirt from the sides of the box. Whatever you do do not dis-connect the kick down cable, not only does this control kickdown but it also sets the clutch pack pressure, releasing it sets the pressure to min and will lead to early failure. It is possible to remove and clean the gov with the auto box in situ but the t box will have to come off. Regards Ian Ashcroft

I will take it from authority I suppose. Will have a look to make sure the kick down cable is moving freely and failing that the governor will have to be looked at.

Is this something I will be able to clean out myself or will I need a replacement governor?

thanks!

i wasnt suggesting to keep the cable disconnected (although it reads like that) but to disconnect it to see if its the cable thats stuck

i have had this problem on the last two autos i have owned, both of them were regularly dunked up to the bonnet in water so the cables probably corroded

A competent mech should be able to clean the gov valve, you will need a torx 27 and someone to help remove the T box, apart from that just care is needed. If the grit has scored the gov stem then yes a new one is advisable but 'usually' they can be cleaned. Do not use emery paper as it is essential to keep the sharp edges on the valve stem, if the edges are rounded they don't clear the varnish build up. Regards Ian Ashcroft PS Sorry mudmagnet mis read your post.

Quick update,

I didn't have a chance to look at this properly over the weekend but I did get a chance to inspect the kick down cable. It's in place where it should be and it moves freely in both directions. I think we can rule out the kick down cable.

Next stop will be to clean out the governor. Not sure when I will have a chance to do this :(