Long Range Feul Tanks

reads90

Well, you could probably fit a TD5 one but I know Ali didn't want to fit annother filler. One thought, didn't somone on the forum (can't remember who) fit a TD5 into an older 90 and fit a TD5 tank in conjuncture with an old style side tank using the original filler.

I've made a rectangular one to fit in front of the rear crossmember, snug between the chassis rails and high enough to allow the towbar braces to get to their original tie-in on the chassis. The filler and suction pipe were from the old conventional, under seat tank. In addition, I also used the original guage but shortened the rod so it still went full range. ;)

Surprisingly, it hold 10 gallons which is a handy size. :)

The filler was located under a 6" square hatch in the load area. The biggest problem has been corrosion as it is a normal steel tank and I didn't think I'd need to coat it as it was full of petrol. If I was going to do it again, I'd fit baffles too. <_<

Ok got a 53 Ltr rear tank from WH. Sorted should have it fitted soon

Thanks all for your help

Ali

So what will your total be then?

My 300Tdi rangie has 150 litre main tank, 45 litre sill tank (45 litre water tank under the other sill) and 90 litre tank behind front seats. This is just about enough to do the Canning Stock Route (depends upon excursions). It is possible to get fuel about half way along, from 2 aboriginal communities (at well 33 and Cotton Creek in nearby Rudal River Nat Park) or have 200 litre drums dropped off at a fuel dump.

Two unprepared travellers perished near those communities, earlier this year when their Landrover had problems. They didn't have enough fuel or water. The Landie is still where they left it.

Guest diesel_jim
Well, you could probably fit a TD5 one but I know Ali didn't want to fit annother filler. One thought, didn't somone on the forum (can't remember who) fit a TD5 into an older 90 and fit a TD5 tank in conjuncture with an old style side tank using the original filler.

I think that was MartinL who installed the Td5 into an older 90, so he ended up with both tanks (because of the high pressure in tank pump that the Td5 needs).

you can get the 90 rear tank for 300Tdi's (as in the rest of world spec rovers have) so it won't have all the pipework and pump fittings, the stock lift pump on the Tdi should do the trick.

The camels have a series tank under teh drivers seat - would this be worth looking at?

Does make it a bit difficult to fill up though if Ali didn't want duel fillers, but might be a cheaper option?

... obviously I have no technical knowledge but thought it might be worth mentioning! B)

P.S. Ali - have you read Peter or Elieen Crichton's 'Chasing Rainbows'? It's about a journey around the coast of Oz - might be interesting readin'? :)

Yeah cheers

Meet and spoke to them but all so spoke to craig lewis and cathy savage who drove around Aus in a 130. Saw them at the Sydney 4x4 show and spoke to them for about 3 hours. Great couple and really good lauhg . But also gave us some really usefull ideas and hints

exploreaus4wd-l.jpg

Ok got a 53 Ltr rear tank from WH. Sorted should have it fitted soon

Thanks all for your help

Ali

So what will your total be then?

My 300Tdi rangie has 150 litre main tank, 45 litre sill tank (45 litre water tank under the other sill) and 90 litre tank behind front seats. This is just about enough to do the Canning Stock Route (depends upon excursions). It is possible to get fuel about half way along, from 2 aboriginal communities (at well 33 and Cotton Creek in nearby Rudal River Nat Park) or have 200 litre drums dropped off at a fuel dump.

Two unprepared travellers perished near those communities, earlier this year when their Landrover had problems. They didn't have enough fuel or water. The Landie is still where they left it.

Yeah but you have a rangie :lol:

Have you ever seen how much room is in a 90 (or not being the case)

I will have 115 Ltr of feul. Which is alot better than 60 which it was.

Where we are going we have been told that you can get away with 100 ltrs :blink:

That's strange. The copy of Explore Australia by 4WD that I have is by Ron and Viv Moon. It's an excellent book and lists enough trips to keep you going for a few years.

Ali if you get to Victoria let me know and I can put you in touch with a 4WD club. Same goes for Darwin and Adelaide.

Ivan