Where can a PAS reservoir go?

darthdicky

Box and pump are now fitted, as is the pipe between the two.

BoxFitted.jpg

:D

Next problem is that the pipe from the box to the reservoir is too short, and the pipe from the pump to the reservoir is too long.

ResPipes.jpg

The short pipe can be seen coming up on the left

I've enquired as to prices for these two pipes that should fit my vehicle (no idea whether they're the right ones, parts books don't show each individual one) and it looks like about £50, which is about £50 more than I want to spend!

Cutting down the long pipe is no problem, but lengthening the short one is.

The best idea I've had at the moment is to mount the reservoir lower, next to the alternator as the pipes will then fit fine and there is space there below the air intake hoses. Only thing I'm not sure about is the heat from the exhaust - it shouldn't be a problem should it?

ResPosition.jpg

Actually a bit lower than this as the air hoses need to go where it is.

Any thoughts? Or ideas for lengthening the short one?

Richard

Standard location for the reservoir is on the drivers side between the curve of the wing top & radiator header tank

like this on my ex-2.5TD [now 200Tdi] 110, the brown plastic tank bottom left of this picture

IMG_0857.jpg

& a closer view

IMG_0838.jpg

:i-m_so_happy:

Edited by western

Bu**er! Wherdehework now then?

Self employed, doing much the same thing. 4x4 servicing and repairs and he is talking about getting a proper workshop and offering custom fabrication too.

Chris

PS: Anyone wants his number, PM me. He is South West Sussex based - Steyning area.

Self employed, doing much the same thing. 4x4 servicing and repairs and he is talking about getting a proper workshop and offering custom fabrication too.

Chris

PS: Anyone wants his number, PM me. He is South West Sussex based - Steyning area.

He has excellent standards, top mechanic.

You've got rangie/disco PAS pipes dicky. On a 90 the PAS reservoir sits more or less directly above the steering box!

I binned a complete set of pipes that would have fitted your motor when i moved recently! D'oh!

Either pick up a set at sodbury that will fit, or as someone has suggested, its low pressure side, so cut off the existing rubber pipes, visit your local hydraulics suppliers and purchase some flexi hosing and make up to suit with jubille clips. I wouldnt bother extending what you've got personally!

Jon

My thoughts exactly - the hose from the box back to the resivoir is low pressure. Get a nice bit of stainless pipe of the correct diameter about 2" long, make sure it's spankers-clean, put an inch in the end of each side of the hose and torque them up tight with some nice high quality jubilee clips. I'd imagine you could use the length you cut off the too-long hose to extend the too-short hose. If not, get down the scrappers and snip a bit of likely hose from a wreck. Should get it done for under a fiver.

Cheers guys, I've spent ages looking at it today and looking through Gumtree's pile of bits (loads of RR ones, but not Defender!). I've decided that I'll probably buy the short one from box - reservoir (£13 I think) and get a long length of 3/4" ID (is that available? its the best measurement I can get from the hose I've got) hydraulic hose to connect the reservoir to the pump. That will put it above the steering box where there's loads of room and won't have any joints to worry about!

Richard

Ok just to continue and drag this thread back up as Dicky has left me to finish off the job and a land rover in many different pieces.

I have ordered the short reservoir to steering box pipe.

Now just need to get a piece of pipe from the reservoir to the pump now out of flexy hose. Question is can i use fuel pipe which is the same internal diameter. Does anyone know of any idea why this is a bad idea. Will power steering fluid cause the pipe to perish at all. It wont be under much pressure so that should be an issue.

I thought i would ask a grown up before i buy any.

Cheers

Jon

Question is can i use fuel pipe which is the same internal diameter. Does anyone know of any idea why this is a bad idea. Will power steering fluid cause the pipe to perish at all. It wont be under much pressure so that should be an issue.

Most of that sort of hose will have something scribbled on it regarding what it is safe to put through it?

I wouldnt use fuel hose I'd use hydraulic hose - available from your local hydraulic suppliers (theres one in most big towns - look in yellow pages) as this is under suction and will collapse otherwise.

Alternately just order the correct pipe - they aint that expensive!

Jon