TD4 auto slow gearchange

BigFlow77

Hi guys, another newbie here.

I have a 2005 TD4 auto SE on 50k miles and have noticed that the auto box is painfully slow changing gear when the engine is cold, in fact i have to use 'sport' (!) mode for the first couple of miles to keep the MPG sensible.

As soon as it warms up it works a treat.........

Is this normal? Could it be a gearbox oil issue (last service was by a non-franchised dealer)?

Any help much appreciated!

Hi Bigflow77. - Welcome to Freelander ownership & the forum :o

That's interesting, I don't remember reading about the sensor in the manual. I will have a look now & give you a ring if the manual gives any recommendations.

Cheers - Jonners

mine holds onto a lower gear for longer when colder, especially when very cold until warmed up then it is a normal change. mine is an 06 auto. also - check when the auto trans fluid was changed, from memory it is 60k i assume on age as well. tired/old fluid can affect it as well.

Hi bm52, good point - just checked my service book and it's not been changed yet. No mention of mileage or time in the owners handbook either.

Looks like a job for the weekend! Thanks for the tip!

Don't try and change the fluid yourself unless you have access to testbook and are experienced at working on this gearbox.

The volume of the fluid at ambient temperature is crucial and there is a bolt that looks like the drain plug(or filling plug, can't remeber) that will completely knacker the gearbox if removed.

It is completely normal for the gearbox to be slow on changing when it's cold. Use the steprtronic for the first 2 or 3 miles and it should change a bit more normally after that.

Thanks EggNChips - Sounds a bit intimidating to me. I'm not scared to pick up the spanners, but sometimes a little knowledge is dangerous! Maybe I'll just get it checked at the next service.........

Yeah I've completely rebuilt IRD boxes TD4 engines, ect and I wouldn't change the ATF, just too scary if it goes wrong, lol.

• 4 weeks later...