Rover 4.6 V8 into Defender Issues

Hi Guys. Got a couple of questions for you. Im currently trying put a 4.6 V8 from a P38 into my defender. First questions is can i use defender engine mounts (incl. the brackets which bolt to the engine) instead of fabricating ones from scratch? Second question / problem is that the enxhaust manifolds foul on the bulkhead slightly on the drivers side and is tight on the passengers, however on the passengers side the end of the manifold finishes just above the chassis rail. Just wondering how people have overcome this in the past or has something gone wrong? Can i use the manifold from a V8 originally in a defender or will it restrict the engine to much? Bit more info which might help. Engine is mated to a disco V8 R380 and the bulkhead is the older 200tdi style. Any help greatly appreciated and desperatly needed. Cheers

You'll need new engine mounts as the V8 is different to the 200TDi. I'd buy standard V8 engine mounts (plenty around on Range Rover / Disco breakers) and rubbers and then fabricate the chassis mounts to meet them (or buy some from Designa Chassis).

Exhausts, go for 3.9 cast manifolds from a RR Classic or Disco, or 3.5EFI will do. Check them for cracks between the middle two ports. No harm getting the matching down-pipes & Y-piece at the same time.

You'll need new engine mounts as the V8 is different to the 200TDi. I'd buy standard V8 engine mounts (plenty around on Range Rover / Disco breakers) and rubbers and then fabricate the chassis mounts to meet them (or buy some from Designa Chassis).

Exhausts, go for 3.9 cast manifolds from a RR Classic or Disco, or 3.5EFI will do. Check them for cracks between the middle two ports. No harm getting the matching down-pipes & Y-piece at the same time.

I'm fitting the 3.9 manifolds and downpipes to mine, apparently you need a disco style tubular gearbox crossmember

Ok cheers guys. I was thinking of fitting the manifolds from a 4l disco but if 3.9 will do then ill see what the local breaker has. :) and yer think ill use defender brackets off the engine and then fabricate up the mount to the chassis.

• 2 weeks later...

I bought a set of engine mounts from Richards Chassis and welded them in. However,im not 100% sure but i think that the Discovery engine mounts bolt through the chassis with 3 bolts, so no welding needed.

HTH