Sam's 3.5 Disco MEGASQUIRT START/FINISH INSTALL THREAD! :)

Mr Noisy

Basically I have to have the throttle open quite a lot to maintain a cruising speed, which to me makes me think that maybe my car would suit a 4.6 engine better than a 3.5

Noisy, what makes you worry about that? The lack of reserve capacity? What's your usual RPM when cruising? I guess in order to maintain the same RPM on a 4.6 engine it would require a little bit more fuel? (Although can't say exactly what's the equation).

Hello :)

It never used to worry me until I was able to check my engine data because of Megasquirt!

I have a standard discover with 1.22:1 transfer case, 3.54 diffs and 32.5" tyres.

Rpm cruising at a happy 65mph is 2000 ish.

Also seems quite happy at around 2800 rpms making around 75 mph or so (have not checked on GPS yet)

So my concern is that it is not easy to maintain map Kpa less that around 75-80 on most road.

If very flat or slight downhill it can be 60kpa.

Will cruise at around 14.5:1 so it's not too bad, I'm just surprised at the required throttle opening to maintain cruising, but of course it is a big car.

Will have to make sure my tyre pressures are correct! :)

Check the handbrake as well ;-)

Looking forward to get to my car. The transfer box ration of my RRC is expected to be 1.192. Don't know anything about diffs and tyres yet. The gearbox also makes difference.

Your measurement units are always confusing :-) The google search for '65 mph in kph' gives 104.6 km/h? true?

If my gauges are not lying and if I remember correctly, cruising fifth gear at 100 km/h (calculated with GPS) would require my engine to work at somewhat 3000-3500 (it's 3.5L).

When my map sensor arrives I wanna make similar plots for my carb setup ;-)

Does it mean that the power capacity of your engine is limited to the left 20kPa (to 100kPa - or, probably, we'd better know what's the engine capability in terms of volumetric efficiency? it's mentioned in Wiki that atmospheric engines could achieve the pressure of somewhat 134kPa without any boosts?

Yes approx 105 kph at approx 2500 rpm, but remember I have oversize tyres so road speed is higher.

I would just hope to have around 65kpa at cruising, mainly so that I can lean slightly on cruise and not have lean area in high map area of VE table!

OK Sam

As I have a few mins I'll add some info that might be of interest re general tuning

WB or NB logic is the same, also what I am abut to outline doesn't happen in either MLV or TS

OK

Tuning cells

The cells as you are doing them with WB are tuned to an AFR Table, with MLV the algoritmic programs etc help get an accurate value of cells,

as a GENERAL rule, the more you log and tune the nicer it gets, but on a diminishing return of change vs time

BUT

Cells are NOT visited

You have on MS1 144 cells

An exercise for you to do and then post up

Pic the VE table from the MSQ I gave you (slightly rich) and then where you are now

Using the CURRENT VE TABLE to make the findings :

Go through cell by cell and identify the cells that are EXACTLY THE SAME in both VE Tables, I draw a rectangle around these cells

When you have done the entire map you will see a pattern of area(s) that have not been "Visted"

OK, without making this the longest post in HFH Tunning History :P here goes

The "CELL" Value is determined via the software tuning, and thi takes note of values AROUND that cell, not just the cell on its own

also cells are "Jumped" or "Dropped" by the engine vertically diagonally horizonatlly or all in a very very short time when driving, as you

move from cell to cell the values are interpolated -

cell vlaue 10 has say cell value 20 (extreme case ok) next to it, however IF the cell vlaue is such when driving that it goes "out" of 10 and not

into "20" and say gets halfway then interpolations means the value of fuelling in this instance would be 15

So, where you have cells that are NOT visted or changed this can give a flase reading / fuelling in 2 ways

way 1

The reading of the cell "Next" (D H V or all of them) gives a "Wrong" value, IOF those cells around had been tuned to differing values then interpolation

would means a differing value of fuelling

Way 2

Just cos you aint got into "That" cell doesn't mean you don't won't, it may be that you didn't visit it enough times for it to make changes,

or maybe you didn't get into it, but you might or can and when you do its going to be a mess !

So, I could explain in buckets of type stuff that will prob lose peeps, so I have a suggestion

Post up

Screen shot of MY VE Table, and then a screen shoyt of YOUR best VE table, with all the cells that are the same highlighted

I will then make the changes and tweaks and suggestions for you and post up the new VE Table and HOW AND WHY I have done what I have done

This will make for a smoother VE Fuelling table and also help on the NEXT Datalog, but I will explain that when I do the post up of the tweaks

And THAT sir is yer homework for the weekend !

MLV / TS are Bludy good but they can't do the impossible !

:D ??

Nige

Nige

500rpm base idle.

Life is good again, thankyou v8 freak!! :)

Just found time to read back... So glad to be able to help... I have to admit to doing the same myself and being on the phone to Nige several times before I traced back to what I'd done..... Bingo...

Your build thread is amazing. Well done.

Neil

Just found time to read back... So glad to be able to help... I have to admit to doing the same myself and being on the phone to Nige several times before I traced back to what I'd done..... Bingo...

Your build thread is amazing. Well done.

Neil

Thankyou Neil, most kind :)

Yep, nearly gassed myself that night trying to rectify it but we got there in the end, huge pat on the back for you!

Thanks again, Sam!

Is that a MOM/On switch to start the engine? If so, very cool :)

It is :)

Came about through necessity more than bling, so much quicker to restart after a stall with a button rather than the key, plus if I have to turn the key off to restart it unlocks my diffs, not ideal on a knife-edge :D

OK, Tart :P

:D :D

Hoping to get some real work done tonight!!

Engine oil change would be nice, depends if I have time to warm it up first or if it just goes straight into the workshop cold though.

Fitting front amber beacons, get that job boxed off.

Will have a look at the LED work light situation.

Also have ordered that tach fix thingy a few days ago, decided it simply needed doing in the most correct, reliable and "in a little box with little wires attached" fashion, so that I can open my ECU box and wire it in nice and easy.

Hoping it will arrive today and then I can have my tacho back tonight.

Going to a pay and play on Sunday for laughs, can't wait!!!! :D

As such, few tasks tonight and then probably an evening of driving/tuning tomorrow to get some data for Nige to look at for me pretty please :)

Cheers guys!! :D

Well, HELLO TunerStudio!

Ahhhh, VE Analyze Live is awesome!!

So easy to see what is going on, what with the cell weighting table so easy to see which buckets have been visited and which haven't, and the cell change table showing where adjustments have been made, tis bloody awesome!

Also with auto update it sends the info to the ECU every 15 seconds, so you can feel the tune improve as you drive.

Will get the tables posted up tomorrow, just that little bit too tired tonight for that job!!

Well pleased with the new software though :)

Also, this was after a few hours MLV and about 90 minutes TS.

TS was changing things quite a lot!!

The cell change was set to "normal"

It will require more work probably but perhaps change to hard now after Nige has looked at it!?

It's unlikely you will get high MAP at high RPMs, as this is where you will start seeing the restriction of the inlet manifold/plenum/heads and air box/pipework.

I would manually interpolate the results to something sensible, as you would anywhere in the map, so you don't have big jumps between cells which gives rough running and clearly not right :)

What's your required fuel set at?

hi bowie

yes well thats what i assumed, the restriction of the intake/snorkel will be keeping the MAP low.

i did think about removing the end cap from my air filter (i am running the original disco/rrc round type efi air filter box with the snorkel feeding into the side of the box) which would eliminate the snorkel and see if i could tune some higher MAPs temporarily.

also would be interesting to see if there was an difference in performance.

any ram air effect at motorway speeds would be decreased though which may not be ideal.

Anyway, nige said he will give me a few pointers on the VE table which is kind of him.

yeah i figured that any rogue cells should be manually smoothed.

there was one at high MAP in the 600rpm column that hadnt been adjusted so i took care of that myself :D

required fuel is 20.0

thanks for your help :)