Sam's 3.5 Disco MEGASQUIRT START/FINISH INSTALL THREAD! :)

Mr Noisy

Hmmm, having some posting difficulty last night, hence the repeat posts!

Anyway

D1D6C1BB-75E7-4F6E-9739-0C30D746FBB5-110

167FD859-BE4F-4237-B8B5-789A1D2C9026-110

205F765E-353F-4B1D-934E-DE934A89DFF0-110

Got some of this done over the last few days, the MS was awesome. We were up North Yorkshire and it was SO wet, every puddle was huge, every bog was insane, and I battled on through just like a diesel.

I also noticed that i now have huge amounts more low end torque because I can now keep up with the diesels when driving the road section in between lanes. Hell, it's actually quicker than a 300tdi 90 now in all aspects, as it bloody should be!! :D

Did get a misfire at one point, we hit some serious bloody bogs, took around 3 hours to cover 500 yards and I noticed a miss, turns out it was arcing at the coil pack around the NSR connector. Checked inside it and it was clean and dry, so not sure where it was tracking but I could see the spark!

Washed it down with a squirty bottle and it was fine again, must have been quite salty perhaps

Anyway, streets ahead from before, an utter success :)

Hi Sam, can you make me a pics of your relais car in the box water proof, because i don't know exactly where the mass must be go (all together ? all on MS plug ? ), and i think buy the same box, thanks

a another question; I have see on an anther post, on a 90, the temperature air sensor was on the aix box, not near the buterfly , there is not influence for the MS ??

Me I wait my new plenium welding for do the building, my wiring is near finish for test

Hi Antoine

Not quite understand what you ask!

Is this what you are looking for?

72D11D2A-26EA-403F-B296-41D2C1924709-137

Also for the air temperature sensor, the sensor needs to be away from engine heat, so on the air filter box or in the air inlet pipe, not on the plenum or butterfly.

Hope that helps :)

Sam, who is the manufactur of that box?

I'm looking for a waterproof box with some waterproof connectors (25 pins or something).

Thanks,

Tom

Hi Tom

I've had a dig about online but can't find any info.

Will have to look at the car, hopefully I'll remember!!

Was bought from Lockwell Electrics by the way, they keep them in stock.

Cheers :)

Couple of jobs for tonight:

BF3116AC-11D6-477B-BBE9-CA540F6C8499-578

New temp sender for my temp gauge.

I noticed last night driving around that the temp appears to have increased on my gauge.

Top hose was easy to hold when I got to work so engine is definitely not hot. Easiest option is to replace the sender first!! Has been fitted a few years in fairness...

AND

Here's a thingamajig to fit a breather to my PAS Reservoir.

The standard vent hole is just less than 6mm, so I will drill it out to 6mm and then push the stainless 6mm stem in with some glue if necessary, then I can connect a breather pipe.

This will complete the waterproofing of my engine bay.

My plan is to submerge the front end of the car at a slipway on a fresh water lake and see if it will carry on running, stood still, underwater.

Probably not a good idea I know!! :o

Tee hee :D

It's all in aid of the 'look how good Megasquirt is' campaign but tbh I won't be happy after spending 1200 quid until I have an v8 that runs underwater!!

It is mad BUT SENSIBLY SPEAKING can anyone think of anything that needs waterproofing? Or where this could go wrong? Because I think it should actually work...!

If you're driving down a slipway I'd want to be bl**dy sure the handbrake works!

Check all your breathers and air intake, the biggest problem will be some unrelated thing getting water in it & causing an issue.

Oh and remember to turn the heater off, you don't want that showering water into the cab! And the kenlowe...

• Power steering reservoir
  • Brake and clutch reservoirs.
  • Headlights
  • Oil filler cap
  • Axle breathers
  • Gearbox breathers

Just some of the things I'd be wanted to check before attempting such a thing.

Madness if you ask me, there are few better ways to kill a vehicle than submerging it in water!

Hi guys.

Yes, will make sure the snorkel can stall the engine and hold vacuum when the opening is blocked. It is the standard 3.5 EFi airbox but I have sealed up the drainage gland.

Don't worry about handbrake, it will be connected to another car at all times!!

Breathers are now fed from the breather system so that's ok.

The heater is a custom unit that doesn't take a feed from the outside, and the bulkhead hole is sealed up.

Also there is no kenlowe anymore, just the viscous, which I will remove.

PAS steering reservoir is now sorted :D

83673985-02AC-4A8A-A125-48A88C24CEBE-780

Yes, good point, brake and clutch I will check for vent holes.

Headlights, don't care.

Oil cap is all good.

Axle and boxes have extended breathers and axles are known good/regularly submerged.

Frankly, yes, it is madness, that's what my dad said.

But I'm like that, up for it if I think it's doable, I it turns out a bad idea evidently I missed something and that's my fault for being incompetent.

If oil or water doesn't leak out, water shouldn't get in.

There no electrics under the bonnet that don't get regularly soaked/jetwashed anyway, so I actually think it's not far off doable! :o

Rather you than me to be honest.

V8's leak. So to just put it into water i would rather not do.

Unless you've sealed your inlet manifold, valley gasket, dipstick, bellhousing cover, rewelded the airbox as they leak, plenum, fuel tank breathers etc etc etc i wouldn't do it !

Alternator ? Starter motor ?

I've 'swum' before.....only to find a small leak on my fuel tank breather. I run multiple pumps each with filters so got away with it but it took me ages to get all the silt out the tank !

G