Sam's 3.5 Disco MEGASQUIRT START/FINISH INSTALL THREAD! :)

Mr Noisy

That and the crank seal - I had one that didn't leak oil, but let about 1/2" of sandy clay into the sump in one outing.... :(

At least that's the only thing I can think it was.

At least budget for an oil change after -engine + axle +anything else that was submerged, if possible do it from cold as well.

Dont forget to extend the engine breather mushroom (rear of the N/S rocker cover) .......................

I used to reguarly submerge mine and did suffer from tracking on the coils at first ................. clean the coils with a good solvent (brake cleaner) and then spray with a good dose of WD 40. Make sure all the leads are a really ggod fit. I think my final cure to the tracking was to fit really good quality 8mm leads.

Hi BBC

yep the mushroom filter is removed, and there is a pipe leading to the snorkel top that replaces it :)

Did have some misfire/tracking on the coils the other week when the engine was coated and inch thick in wet gloopy mud, we were bogging through a mud run and it started misfiring, could see the tracking between leads on two caps, squirting it with clean water cured the miss!

Can get that igntion sealer spray which might be an idea :)

I already have the 8mm spiral wound leads that Nige supplies which do seem decent quality IMO!

Cheers :)

Hi Sam,like your build.Could you explain how you have wired your injectors.Im wiring my kit at the moment but am a bit lost as not good with wiring and diagrams.I see 4 wires coming from your relay board injector +12v do these run to the centre injectors then feed to the outer injectors?same with the injectors 1 and 2 on the relay board ,do they run to the middle injector bank the feed to the outer injectors?

Any help will be appreciated

chris

Hi mate

Pretty simple really.

At the relay board there are 4 connectors the injectors with +ve and 2 connectors each for bank 1 and bank 2 negative.

I have made a slight change and used 2 of the injector +VE to supply the EDIS +VE and then connected 2 injector +VE wires to each of the 2 injector +VE connectors on the relay board.

So basically 4 wires into 2 sockets leaving the other two spare for a nice healthy supply for the EDIS +VE.

The far end of the relay board connector strip has the 4 injector -VE connectors, 2 for each bank.

So basically, I have 8 wires running from relay board to engine, 4 +VE, 2 -VE bank 1, 2 -VE bank 2.

When the wires get to the engine, they are spilt accordingly so there are 2 +VE and 2 -VE each side.

I ran these down the side of the fuel rail and snipped them to length to fit the middle two injectors.

You see, you have 2 +VE and 2 -VE each side so that's enough to feed 2 injectors.

All you have to do then once you're sure and you cut them to length for the middle injectors is to piggyback from those middle injectors to the front injector from the front-middle and to the rear from the rear-middle, nice and simple just wire them in parallel. Study my pics again you should be able to work it out, if you're still stuck I can explain if you let me know what's up!! :)

Top thread Mr Noisy! You have inspired me to buy Megasquirt and put it in my Disco 1 :D

On the subject of going swimming, a couple of things spring to mind:

1. If it is fresh water and you go deep enough, the instruments will get filled with muck; so have a good think about the dashboard and what is under it. The radiator matrix; aircon; oil cooler will suffer. The alternator will need disconnecting and flushing with a hose, to save it from internal abrasion.

2. For salt water; all of the above, plus the corrosion aspect on all of the car :(

My advice is not to do it,

Cheers Charlie

Clean fresh water only!

And the idea is to have the car on a slipway so the engine can go under whilst the rest stays fairly dry!

When my alternator packs up I remove it and put it in a bucket of water to remove the mud inside and get it working again so im not too bothered about that, the starter can also handle submersion as it simply drains.

I am not admitting defeat but let's just say I'm not rushing it, nor is it high priority but one day I will have to explore!

Cheers :)

been in the sea with mine around bonnet depth, yep killed my starter motor the rest so far perfect. lots of duck oil. and hosed down with lots and lots of water, submerged in fresh water after being in the sea. alternators are ok still, this was about 6 months ago. so far nothing else gone wrong.... A V8 thug also did the same, I believe all ok with his electrics starter motors etc

So easy to sit back and go ooohh dont do this dont do that. in theory your correct but the same can be said about drinking alcohol or walking beside a road with the risks...

you'll be fine, through it in if it stops tow it out... only thing to be damaged is pride...

Hmmmm

Here : http://www.megasquirt-v8.co.uk/testimonials.php bottom of page

Sams test won't be as superficial :rofl::blink:

:D

Nige

superficial...... hahaha. the thug only cough when it took a mouthful in and spat it out the exhaust... kept going! knownig the owner he would of catch the salt and sold it! lol

My through the cab snorkel is going on next week. then we'll have some real pics....

Sam go for it! why else did you really get MS????? V8's under water sound even better... close your eyes - pretend to be james bond in his V8 powered ski boat.... LMAO

Generally sounding a bit more promising then!

Ok so hoping for the best that no water finds its way under the valley gasket, it's basically lower the car down the slip with the engine cold and off, and then start it under water.

Nice little video :)