advice needed on 300 tdi autos.

lyron

owing to the onset of old age :blink: we need to swap our manual disco for an auto :o ,could anyone give me any indication what to look for as i have always driven manual landies. are they more thirsty,how reliable are they, what sort of problems should i expect. any advice and information would be very helpfull :unsure:

ron,

When I decided oto buy a Disco I test drove both auto and manual. I am not a serious trail blazer. The auto won. After 260 000 km I did a major overhaul on the auto box, all the friction plates were replaced, the valve body was cleaned and checked, the governor was cleaned and checked and the torque converter was send for checking and servicing (what ever that means). That cost me R10600. I was happy to pay that. My Disco is a 1996 300 Tdi Auto, and really drives very smooth and my diesel consumption on the open road is 9,5 to 9,8 litres/100 km, with the AC working and traveling between 100 and 120 km/h.

Occadional off roading in auto is fine, Severe trail I use 1st in low range diff lock and she is easy to drive. Steep decents is a bid scary as you do not have the full advantage of engine braking, but you learn to use the brakes.

owing to the onset of old age :blink: we need to swap our manual disco for an auto :o ,could anyone give me any indication what to look for as i have always driven manual landies. are they more thirsty,how reliable are they, what sort of problems should i expect. any advice and information would be very helpfull :unsure:

ron,

Assuming a D1. fuel consumption will be slightly higher due to the torque converter slipping untill it locks up at around 52mph, problems should you expect, err.. no drive or reverse, but then why expect any? unless the box has done a very high mileage but that is the same with a manual box and of course you won't have any clutch problems in the interim period.

I've just done 25 years using an auto box without any problems and that's with a V8 and with pedal to the metal powering it, just a fluid and filter change every 20,000 miles that's it, so as those who know say "they are bulit proof".

thank you so much for the replies, (very helpfull), i think i might just look for an auto to keep our existing manual company, (well, whats wrong with owning two),will sertainly be making enquires about the servo on the clutch. once again,many thanks.

ron.