Wiring in a new ciggy lighter

I've just fitted a nice new steel cubby box from Storage Solutions which has a couple of extra cigarette sockets on the rear for extra electrical take-offs. Does anyone have suggestions as to the best way to power these? I have a pslit charge system installed by the way.

You could just wire them direct to the battery with an in-line fuse...

Guest diesel_jim

I'd go for the "direct to battery" route as well... via a fuse though!

It's a pain whenever you've got anything plugged into them, you take the keys out and whatever is in the socked "dies", or (in my case) my phone stops charging, then when i've started/stopped a couple of times, the phone freaks out and says "reconnect charger" :rolleyes:

Thanks a lot I'll follow your advice - presumably I can wire the two sockets up in series and just loop the live back to the negative terminal on the battery.

On a different note, I am about to fit a JVC CD player into the new cubby box and find that it comes with a large ISO connector block with about 12 seperate feeds. I assume that as my Defender does not have the corresponding connector block I can simply cut this off and wire in with spade connectors or similar. None the less the array of wires is somewhat bewildering - All I need (I thought) was power feed and two speaker wires. You've probably guessed that electrical stuff is not my strong point!

In Parallel, not series!!!

You can get various ISO adapters from halfrauds, which make the whole thing plug 'n' play, must be something available in France.

Even if you can't find a LR to ISO adapter, it's worth getting an ISO to bare ends, then you can wire that in and won't have to change the whole lot when/if you swap stereos.

Luke

Parallel or Series refers to how you wire them together. hopefully a diagram will help explain.

pands.JPG

The middle diagram, with individual fuses, is what i'd do, that way, if you pop one fuse, you can still use the other socket.

Hope that helps

Luke

P.S. i have no idea what the correct symbol for a ciggy lighter is!!

Luke