Disco 2 Td5 temp gauge?

Terra Dog

Hi all. I'm a bit confused as to whether my engine temp gauge in my disco 2 is playing up.

When driving about it goes up to half way or just above. Then when stationary for a few mins it creeps back down to about a quarter.

Does the engine cooling fan run constantly on the discovery 2 Td5?

Mine is a 52 reg?

Regards

TD

There are 2 "thermostats" - one which controls coolant flow as usual, and a bimetallic strip which allows the fan to freewheel when cold but locks it when hot.

The TD5 coolant system is quite complicated......

You need to take the fan off to get to the thermostat and you need special spanners to do that but then it's easy.

The fan is controlled by the bimetallic strip. When the engine is cold the fan should just freewheel after the first few seconds of running. If it isn't you will probably be able to hear it howling. Start the engine from cold, stop after about 30 seconds. You should be able to push the fan blades round with very little resistance.

The bimetallic strip, silicone viscous unit and fan blades are one component and are not (AFAIK) available separately.

Island 4x4 have the Britpart one for £50 or so - I had one from them that was defective but the replacement seems fine so far.

hey Terra Dog, i guess you are talking about the electric cooling fan aren't you? if yes you need to reset the ECU with a proper tester cos it's stuck on the cooling fan request... and for the gauge IMO the problem is the coolant temp. sensor...which gave a faulty signal to the ECU some time and it triggered the cooling fan and this sensor sends the information for the gauge too