'74 Series - nice cold, but hot it's not...

allinger

To the point - '74 Series runs fine while cold. Then after a stop (or after getting warm) it sort of loses momentum. To the point where I have to revv it hard to keep all 4 fireing. At, for instance, a stoplight...

And once it drops, it drops to two or at best, three cylinders. Then, as it gets revved up in first gear (clutch out) it sort of kicks in. Until it doesn't...

Now, I'm starting to work through the fuel-electricity-air equation and so far I've:

- Rebuilt the carb. With proper Zenith parts

- Gone from points to electrical breaker

- Gone from mechanical to electrical fuel pump

- New coil, contacts and wires

- Cleaned the air filter and replaced the oil

- Replaced all the hose clamps to all the pipes. All of them...

And still it's giving me this "#¤&¤%/&/. I'm at the end of my wire here! What's next? Plugs? Plug wires? Firebomb?

Any and all input appreciated!

• 1 month later...

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="allinger" data-cid="683021" data-time="1352811746"><p>

To quote Mr Manuel, of Fawlty Towers fame - "I know naathin!" How would one go about checking fuel vaporisation?</p></blockquote>

Could be fuel vaporisatipn as it passes through under the bonnet; maybe your pump is tired & isn't shifting the fuel like it should, or the filter gauze is plugged or maybe damaged diaphragm? Test by taking fuel line off at carb & cranking the engine over. Catch the fuel in a can, and ideally make sure the dizzy isnt sparking!

When you get the wobbly issues, feel the coil.

If it's hot - worry.

You may have a ballast-resistor-type coil fitted but the ballast-resistor may be shorted/bypassed-by-a-previous-owner.

Equally - replace the condensor in the distributor: if this is breaking down it will play havoc with the spark and make starting a ++ pain-in-the-sphincter.