Rear Wheel Arches - Liners?

Has anybody tried putting a liner in the rear wheelarches of a Defender? The noise of spray from wet roads hitting the underside of the wheelboxes gets a bit tiring on an 8-hour drive and I reckon that an inner liner is the way to go.

First candidate that comes to mind would be a set of front inner wheelarches, after all they're roughly the right shape. Puma ones are plastic and therefore could possibly be encouraged into place more easily than the steel ones of earlier models. Some creative bracketry could maybe see them mounted in place. Blank off the hole for the turret and bob's your uncle. They also come with sound deadening which would help cut out road noise.

Other than that, even just a second skin added to the lower part of the strengthening ribs on the underside of the wheelarch top would probably help a great deal. So it's not the aluminium itself that the water is hitting.

Any thoughts?

Yes I did that years ago. I also filled the holes in behind the front steel wheel arches.

As I have a station wagon I also fited a flap in front of the rear wheels to stop crud sitting on the body crossmember.

Cost was nil apart from scews and rivits because I used plastic oil drums.

Do you chaps who have fitted such guards find it makes much difference to the noise level?

I'm not too concerned with preventing mud getting to the crossmembers, I'd rather have it get there and access be easy for me to wash it off, so I'm looking to prevent the water reaching the top of the arch most of all.

Mine has a rubber mat in the centre part, and then just cheap carpet stuck on the wheelboxes themselves. In time they will be properly soundproofed with Dynamat or the like stuck over the entire back end which will likely help a great deal, but an inner liner underneath is probably worth a shot too I reckon :)

Thanks for all the info chaps, I'll let you know what I settle for when I get around to it.

• 3 years later...
On 16/11/2012 at 11:51 PM, Disco-Ron said:

I'VE wondered about this myself, lorry mudguards come to mind, similar to what some challenge trucks now have. . . Would have to fit tight up in the arch, as my tyres rub the top as it is on full articulation .

I remember seeing the results of people doing this on another forum and it was both cheap and effective, apparently.  I have acoustic matting throughout my tub and foot wells, but still hear the spray quite loudly, so it's something I may do too.  It has the added benefit of reducing stone chip and road salt damage.

I bought a set of Lokari liners to try and achieve the same thing, but never got around to fitting.  They are aluminium, sort of shaped to fit, with some edging strip and a couple of swages along their length so that they can be squeezed in to position.

I have since filled my wheel arches with a fuel tank and tool box so think these will no longer fit mine.

Lokari-Wheel-Arch-Liner.jpg

• Like 1

• 3 years later...
On 10/13/2016 at 12:54 PM, Inigo said:

I bought a set of Lokari liners to try and achieve the same thing, but never got around to fitting.  They are aluminium, sort of shaped to fit, with some edging strip and a couple of swages along their length so that they can be squeezed in to position.

I have since filled my wheel arches with a fuel tank and tool box so think these will no longer fit mine.

Lokari-Wheel-Arch-Liner.jpg

Did I buy these from you?   I think it was one of those - Oh Yes I'll buy those for my 110 Pick-Up!  Hummnnn    - they work great - and thank you for facilitating it!

In terms of my 65 plate 110 utility 

I can tell you that I bought a set of Lokari liners - fitted and forgot about them - I never get distacted by the noise of road debris rattleing against the 'space wasters' 

I have them as well lying since months in my workshop. They are really hard to mount. I tried it with the rear left one. They can only be pressed into the arch with an hydraulic bottle jack, when the wheel is off. It is simultanously an advantage, because what makes it so hard is the rubber around it. But this closes all leaks as well and makes it fit good. Greased rubber works better

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/5/2020 at 11:27 PM, Oakmaster said:

Did I buy these from you?   I think it was one of those - Oh Yes I'll buy those for my 110 Pick-Up!  Hummnnn    - they work great - and thank you for facilitating it!

In terms of my 65 plate 110 utility 

I can tell you that I bought a set of Lokari liners - fitted and forgot about them - I never get distacted by the noise of road debris rattleing against the 'space wasters' 

Yes you did!

Glad you managed to fit them and they work.  Slightly regret not bothering to fit them myself each time a stone escapes from a tyre, but realistically they'd still be cluttering up my garage.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Here's an alternative, or at least partially:

https://gwynlewis4x4.co.uk/product-category/mud-shields-flaps/

I have some fitted front and back on my 110 hardtop mainly to stop water, salt and crud getting flung into the rear cross member, outriggers etc. They are pretty effective at doing that, but they also cut down the noise of things hitting the wheel boxes, apart from the 12 inches at the top of the wheel box. You could fairly easily fabricate a section of plastic (or maybe even that stuff the make lorry mudflaps out of?) to bridge the gap between the two mud shields though.

Edited by Filbee

I will post pictures (later) of these on my 110 V8 Pickup (galved Chassis) and my 65 plate 110 utility 

In retrospect they are a bit pointless on the pick-up - But Great on the Utility (though I seem to remeber they needed to be hacked about a bit.

The Gwyn Lewis options look good.

Thanks for the replies and recommendations. I was initially thinking of getting the Gwynn Lewis for the front and the Lokari liners or SRS-Tec (Rear inner arch liners, Land Rover Defender - SRS-TEC) for the back. After the email from Lokari with photos and fitting instructions, I think i will go with the Gwyn Lewis front and back. The Lokari requires alot of work and cut out and in the end does not look like the fit snug.

Anyone fitted the rear arch liner kit from SRS-Tec?